Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

Heater trouble with a twist...

Okay, my car has developed the classic " heater will only work on fan setting 4" problem. I bought the resistor to fix the problem but upon trying to drop the fan motor out to get at the resistor pack I found that it wouldn't drop down past the two aircon pipes, they have metal bends in them that seem pretty inflexible. Has anyone else had this problem? I hope it's not going to require a trip to an air-con expert to dismantle the piping :?

Have you tried removing the resistor pack from the motor with the fan in place? Will most likely be a bit awkward but should be possible. :?

I thought you had to remove the black plastic housing around the motor to get to the resisitor pack? The housing won't come off cause of the air-con.

Can you access the plug on it? Its been a few years since I done this but im sure the resistor pack is part of the metal plate that the connector is on. I think it just prises off with a flat blade screwdriver then theres 2 spade connectors connecting that to the motor. Undo them and you have the resistor pack removed.

I'll have another squizz at it tonight, I may be making life a bit difficult for myself, I just remember squeezing myself under the dashboard at some acute angle, sweating and swearing alot.

Heh, yeah,yeah.

Well I had another look last night and there is nothing that I can get at, everything is wedged in by the piping and a big black box (condenser maybe?) to the side of it . On the very base of the fan unit there is a round metal chassis type thing with 2 plugs in it but it doesn't look anything like the pictures I've seen of the resistor pack. In fact the whole fan looks different to the pictures I've seen, I wonder if they fitted a new fan when the air-con was fitted. I'll try and get some pictures.