Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

Allen key size- Calipers

anyone know what size of allen key is needed for the front calipers in my 95 vr6 as i am going to fit new discs at the weekend

cheers

paul

Not an allen, what you want is a 17mm socket (or ring spanner) to shift the carrier, and a 13mm socket/ring and a 14mm (I think) open end to remove the calliper

I cant remember if you need to take the carrier off.....if you do, there is no need to take the caliper off the carrier. On my G60 it is 13mm bolts through caliper and 17 or 19 mm bolt through carrier - both of these will be rusty, and should have thread locking compound on them, so use a good fitting tool.

Hi Dazzy

Well that's just typical of VW building them all different :)

Interestingly (if you care) my valver and VR are built the same with 17mm bolts on the front and poxy allen screws on the back

alright chris,i also found vw just stick anything on,whilst taking my door cards off i noticed they used a mixture of phillips head screws and just one torque type screw and it just happend to be in the most difficult to get out place :?