Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Back from Nurburg, a few issues..

Just back from one lap of the ring and think I may have some potential problems. Just wondering whether these symptoms sound familiar to anyone...

Starting to get some vibration through the gearstick and a grinding noise when changing down hard, most noticeable 3rd to 2nd, although it does do it in all gears.

Occassionally crunching into 2nd when changing down as if the clutch isn't completely depressed.

When parked, turning the steering wheel just off center feels like its grating. Can be felt through the floor of the car and the steering wheel. Not noticeable when moving.

Some major torque steer which I never used to have. Overtaking flat out up a hill and had to correct by 2-3" steering wheel movement each way.

I'm wondering whether a gearbox bearing is getting tired hence the vibration. It's on a original box at 120,000miles. Could the gearbox also cause the torgue steer, maybe something diff related? All suspension bushes etc are 2 years old max.

Thanks.

Don't think that torque steer has anything to do with gearbox, it could be that you tracking is now out, especially if you were hooning it round corners and jumping the kerbs. If its not that then you could have done some damage to the steering rack, or heavy abuse could just have contributed to it wearing out quicker.

Not sure about the gearbox though, sorry.