Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

MFA Oil Temp

I've owned my C two years now.

In this time the MFA Oil Temp has never worked.

All other readings are fine.

Where is the sensor for this located?

I've checked the connections for the relays on top of the fuse box, apparently these sometimes need reseated.

Cheers

Mike

----------

'91 16v

CCGB 1817

got mine fixed today.

the sensor is down to the right of the distributor if i remeber correctly.

Just need reconnected now works fine. Guess it could stop working or any number of reasons tho

Remember that there not completly accurate and are all different, mine was at 98 when i went for my mot and there tester which is more likely to be accurate was at 83.

I just use mine as a guide really, if its above 90 the car is warmed up, it has never gone higher than 110 so if it does I will know somethings wrong.

g60's are usually higher though I think

The oil temp sensor on a G60 is located on top of the oil filter flange and it is the smaller of the oil sensors there. Its the small brass one.

Thanks for the replies guys. :D

I've had a look above the oil filter (I think) :oops: at the front of the engine.

There are two electrical connections which I can see. One behind the other. These slide onto spade style connectors. There is also a third connector with two wires, black and blue, which is cable-tied onto part of the engine but not connected to anything.

Which of these connectors is for the oil temp?? :? :?

Cheers!

I had the same problem with my Corrado. All I would get was erratic readings for the oil temp. Everything else worked.

Someone told me about a possible loose connection and this was the problem. It now works correctly.

Remove the plastic cover for the fusebox in the driver's leg bay. Feel around the back of the fusebox roughly in the middle. You might feel that one of these connectors is lose. Click it back in if it is.

This solved my problem. You may need to look up a diagram of the fusebox to see exactly which one you're trying to locate.

Hope this helps.

Turned out to be a bad earth on the sensor.

£7.40 from VAG for a new sensor. 2mins to fit.

It's located to the RHS rear of the head, just round the corner from the distributor cap.

Cheers :D

my oil temp reached nearly 120, is that excessive? i have not long had the headgasket done!

the highest i've had mine was 114 when i first got it(3 days ago :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and went for a thrash

I was racing a Ferrari 355 Spider, my friend own it and hes not shy when he drives it!! He gets worried when he sees me looking for oppertunities that dont exsist!!

How do I check my oil cooler and that its working fully?

A few weeks ago whilst at the 'Ring the oil temp on my 60 was getting up to 130!!!

Maybe an oil cooler is on the cards me thinks!! Any recomendations guys? preferably one which is easy to fit and cheap!!

Think the highest ive hit was 128 :shock: , fitting a new grill with all the slats open seems to have made a good difference to the temps though. 8)

an optimum temp is about 95-100C. I had my g60 go up to 128C 2 days ago but was really hot outside. Now with the new oil cooler it stays at 90-100C range,its a must for a g60 specially if you are runing higher boost. Oh and at night time my oil temps go up to 160C :lol: bad earth