Sign in to follow this  
bigchagg

cooloent pump making noises and pully wobbling??

is it possible to just change a bearing or pully, or do you have to change the whole pump (i think its called coolent pump, the pully just below the aux tensioner with 3 bolts on it)???

is it ok to drive on it for a while??

how much do you its going to cost me ???

corrado VR6

Yeah you need to change the whole pump - it's about £20 exchange from VW and you should be able to do in situ with a bit of careful jacking...

Might as well get a new belt at the same time and you need an M8x80 bolt to undo it...

yea its got worse through out today and noticed that its also leaking.

guess its time to get it booked in with somone who knows what there doing.

any suggestions of any garage around the stockport manchester area thats good??? would be greatly appreciated.

how much do you think vw would charge??

I believe it's a pretty easy job & is one that I'm going to tackle shortly. Take a look at this post. Aplogies for the link to a rival forum!! :)

I did the job 2 weeks ago, following the article in http://www.funkster.org/. Thanks to Andy for the link to that site.

It really is quite easy so long as you have a reasonable socket set with extension bars, and a trolley jack to lift the engine. It will take about 3 hours at a leisurely pace, so even if you have to buy a trolley jack you will save a lot of money, and still have the jack at the end of it, as well as having the satisfaction of doing the job properly.

Good luck.

Best wishes

RB

Yeah that must be wrong as the book time is 1.75 hours including filling the cooling system so should only be half that at £75 (what my dealer charge) an hour + the pump

cheers guys

i havnt got the time to it myself so im just waiting to find a garage to do it for me.

in the mean time ill just have to keep filling up the water and hope for the best. :?

The trouble is that it may sieze up and shred the belt as well as overheating the engine. If the belt is running out of line it will also damage the tensioner pulley (which is plastic).

Best wishes

RB

Recently had a burst water hose whilst on a 300 mile journey to n.wales - the host cost me £8, but cost £113 in total to fix! The only reason I didnt do it myself was because I was on holiday, and was quoted "No more than £50". Turns out it took over an hour extra for some dimwit to remove and put back on the alternator ¬_¬. Was not too pleased parting with my cash, but atleast it had been tested properly, and the car powered it back home fine after!

Was much better than having to stop every 20 minutes to fill up the water tank with welsh river water :D

just thought id let you know, ive got the pump sorted.

new pump supplied and fitted for £125 from a friend of myn who owns a garage near deansgate in manchester.

the rado runs nice and smooth and much much quieter now as well, Beuuuuuuutiful!! :)