Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

Radiator Cross member rusted?

Hi

Not sure what the technical term for it is but the cross member thingy that the radiator sits on is very rusty on my G60.

Where can I get another one from and how much should I expect to pay?

What is it called as I don't want to be phoning people and asking for a thingy? :D

I assume it's a straight bolt on part?

Ta

ST

It's a crossmember... ;) Technically there is two, there's that crossmember and the one that supports the engine.

I have one, which I can tidy up and spray if you want it. and perhaps even fit in about a fortnight, as I have a slight work related issue, which is freeing some of my time up.

I think I read somewhere this was one of the few parts vw decided not to galvanise on the Corrado. Great idea considering where it is!

I think I read somewhere this was one of the few parts vw decided not to galvanise on the Corrado. Great idea considering where it is!

How else would they make their money on spare parts though. :lol: A company like VW have to build a car like the Corrado every 10 years so they can recover the costs back on failed enterprises.

PM sent Tom.

Thanks

ST

I reckon VW do not too badly when it comes to spares. I don't know of any other marque that has a following like it, with many owners insisting on using VW replacement parts. Your far more likely to find a queue in the VW parts department than others IME.

Anyway :offtopic1: but that new Corrado should be just around the corner!

Hi mate - later G60's use the same as the 16V's but as there is a change on chassis number it's worth going to the dealer and getting a quote and making sure they match the correct part number so you know what your looking for...

How else would they make their money on spare parts though. :lol: A company like VW have to build a car like the Corrado every 10 years so they can recover the costs back on failed enterprises.

PM sent Tom.

Thanks

ST[/quote:626d0]

There are a few products on the market that will allow you to galvanise this yourself. One is called Zinga and is a paint made up of over 90% Zinc, I think you can get it in spray tins. You can spray straight over it and should help prevent rust starting as Zinc is a sacrificial coating. Other paints to consider are a good coat of smoothrite and then I think the Stone Guard stuff that is designed to be painted onto the bottoms of doors etc is a good top coat (this can also be painted over) Finally make sure all the internal cavities are given a good shot of Waxoil as this is also suppossed to contain a rust killing agent.

Just make sure you get rid of all the rust first, shot blasting is the best way and then give it a coat in something like Krust before painting to ensure all the rust is dead, if you don't you will be just wasting your time.

I would also do all of this on a brand new part from VW as odds on it has been sat on the shelf for a few years and that black primer stuff they put on in the factory is rubbish.

I was reading about some of that stuff earlier this week when a catalogue from Frost arrived. Looks like a some good stuff.

Corrado vr6 rad support=535 199 171 H=£309.53

" 16V/G60 " " =535 199 171 G=£225.42

Thanks for that.

My G60 is a late model one with the bonnet bulge and 15 gal fuel tank so the 16V/G60 one has got to be the one.

Cheers

ST

I was reading about some of that stuff earlier this week when a catalogue from Frost arrived. Looks like a some good stuff.

Not sure if the stuff Frost sells is the same product.

The zinga stuff is as good as a hot-dip glavanising process and the time for a 20 micron coating to go in normal land based atmospheric conditions is over 20 years!!

£225! ouch. my one is rusted away in places too... I need to get a new radiator cowl - anyone know the price of that as its also rusted away badly at the bottom. I've tried sanding it all off but its too rusty in areas and a new one would be a better call. Most of it is under the radiator - would that be due to a leak (or several) at some point?