Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

The new S3 has 17" Brakes!!! :shock:

I doubt it but its something that some manufacturers seem to be constantly getting wrong.

I wrote the European launch material for the Mazda RX8 - Mazda in Japan insisted that I state that it had 17" front brakes even though thats a physical impossibility when the car only had 18" wheels.

Obviously done for marketing reasons and there is obviously a way by which they can legally say this but the RX8 definitely did not have 433mm front discs and I'd bet my life on it that the new S3 doesn't either

yep must be marketing b0llocks... :shock: they always tell the truth dont they... ha ha ha ha

The s3 has the same sized wheels as the new r32 and similar power at about 260ish bhp... o and vw only put 365mm discs on the gallardo so unfortunately i dont think they'll put these nosebleed inducing brakes on the s3! :( shame though as like you say i'd have really liked to see the calliper arrangement! my moneys on the same twin pistons set as on the r32?

I think the current R32/S3 Haldex platform uses 340mm front discs.....and they and the calipers look seriously heavy. You could probably lose 6-7kg at each front corner by fitting an aftermarket 4 pot kit!

Can't say for certain with regards to the R32 but the new S3's front brakes are considerably lighter than those on the A3 3.2 which may or may not be the same as the R32's brakes.