Sign in to follow this  
Storm83

OEM vs GSF

it really depends on where the parts are sourced, some are OEM suppliers, some OK and some really quite inferior, on suspension components most of the OEM bits are better quality, generally I've had good experiences with FEBI parts. Some bits like rear engine mounts (16v) have been utter crap from GSF and the drop links were visibly thinner and looked poorly made in comparison.

Welcome to the forum pal :D

When this has come up before the general consensus has been to stick with OEM, unless you know which GSF part is identical to the OEM part.

When I had the rear beam bushes done my mechanic commented on the vast difference in quality and ease of fitment of the OEM bushes compared to the GSF equivalent he'd had to put on other customers cars.

I can only really comment on a big difference in bearing quality. I've had a pair of GSF wheel bearings wear out in less than a year, the races were heavily pitted. They were half as much as VW ones but for the hassle involved and the fact that I then had to then replace them with VW parts anyway, I wouldn't be in any hurry to use GSF parts for things like bearings/bushes again.

The thing about GSF is the website is rubbish....... You need to pick up the phone and speak to them because they actually carry and can source so many more parts than what the website lists, and you can also check out who the manufacturers are

If you actually get the part numbers from the website and then ask them for alternatives you'll normally find a few pounds more will be able to get you a much better part... They wanted to sell me V-tech wishbone bushes, but for 50p more each i could get Lemforder.... They were selling no brand heater matrix's for a few months, and then i picked up an OEM Valeo matrix from them for the same price a few weeks ago....

GSF has also changed from the scirocco to the corrado..... With the scirroco most bits were good enough and generally 'right'. With the VR lots of GSF bits will 'fit', but aren't necessary the right bit - e.g. the front top mounts they will sell you are the same ones that fit a 1.4 golf 3... obviously the VR will 'eat' these with all the extra weight bouncing on them...

you've just got be be a bit selective, and weigh up the price difference with VW - which sometimes can be huge, and others times same price as VW...?!?!?

pb

This has been discussed a lot on here but from my personal experience I would stick with OEM.

The reason is that you are going to need to fork out £60 for a full 4 wheel alignment after doing the suspension work. Yes the GSF stuff maybe cheaper but it also wears out faster, so at £60 a pop for alignment work (no point doing the suspension bits otherwise) it soon reaches OEM levels.

I can only really comment on a big difference in bearing quality. I've had a pair of GSF wheel bearings wear out in less than a year, the races were heavily pitted. They were half as much as VW ones but for the hassle involved and the fact that I then had to then replace them with VW parts anyway, I wouldn't be in any hurry to use GSF parts for things like bearings/bushes again.

again, it's a little more complex with GSF, I've always had SKF bearings from them and they have been fine for years, at least with VAG you know it's best quality, although interestingly they change suppliers over the years and some bits are not as good as factory from them, it's a rare occurence though.

Yep, GSF used to do SKF bearings and OE topmounts etc but not any more... they are now sourcing jap bearings that in my opinion are not fit for purpose...

Prices have gone up and parts quality is down, if I do by any non genuine suspension stuff it's from AVS (http://www.vwspares.co.uk) - far cheaper than GSF, website is clearer and easier to use and they don't get stuff wrong...

As above, non genuine bits like Febi will last 2-4 years, OE will last another 8-12 - you get wat you pay for!

That's a good website Steve.... Think I might be doing a bit of shopping as the 16v needs some new bits before the MOT.

Thanks for all your replys, think im going to go with OEM. Looking foward to getting it all fitted and hopefully we might get some decent weather so that I can enjoy the benifits! Will keep you all posted on my progress and the results!

Storm83

I have a GSF PAS pump on mine. I've had it changed under GSF warranty as it was very noisy - the new one is no better and when i say noisy I mean really noisy! I'm told GSF supply reconditioned units. I'm now going to have to pay for the labour again to have an OE one fitted.

I'm not sure whether this is just bad luck but I also bought new roof strips - one side from GPC in Luton and the other from VAG. THE GPC one was too narrow so the flange didn't cover the gap. I've since bought a VAG one for that side too. False economy in my experience to not use VAG.