Sign in to follow this  
red_rado

corrado 1.8 16v bigger valves????

thinking of modding my engine to squeeze a bit more power out!!! thinking on bigger valves and new cams anyone any advice?? i have a spare cylinder head so playing about with that!!!

Hallo,

Cams are fine but you wont get bigger valves in a16v head.

If you are after good power then look here:

CNC heads

252bhp out of a 1.8 16v is not too bad going.

Yeah but how much torque and at what rpm? Power is just an arbitary number. Torque is the only figure of interest :-)

I would only fit larger valves to compensate for an increase in bore personally.....

Not impressed with CNC heads. They've ignored my emails, so Schimmel got my business instead.

Yeah but how much torque and at what rpm? Power is just an arbitary number. Torque is the only figure of interest :-)

I would only fit larger valves to compensate for an increase in bore personally.....

Not impressed with CNC heads. They've ignored my emails, so Schimmel got my business instead.

True, I am still waiting for the VR6 head figures. :?

I agree power is only an arbitary number, but unlike any other head suppier you do know what you are getting in terms of a % increase from CNC.

Yeah that's why I was interested because the workmanship looks great and as you say, they quote the rise in CFM.....but it seems they don't put as much effort into responding to customers as they do advertising themselves in every car mag under the sun.

I'm just going with larger valves and port matching. The VR is not an especially high revving motor, so I'm not bothering with flowing.....just making the floodgates a little bigger ;-)

This is the 1.8 16v head....head

> I'd rather not have my valve guides ground totally away thanks, VW made them that long for a reason!

A 16v head does respond well to porting and polishing though, the standard valve area is plenty big enough and the combustion chamber can't fit bigger valves without affecting the gas flow.

Seriously, expect around 15-20bhp from a 16v P&P job, possibly another 10 peak with lumpy cams, the max torque will be 5-10lb/ft more than a standard 1.8 or 2L, it's not easy to get more power and torque from a NA engine.

Aye, because all you're doing is extending the rev range with the cams and porting, not increasing cylinder filling. I personally don't like engines that make headline power figures with revs. I prefer to fill the cyls with something meaningful and give the motor a meaningful kick in the midrange in return.....but each to our own :-)