Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

2.0L block and crank, G60 rods and pistons?

so my question is this.

If I were to take the 2.0L block and crankshaft, could I put my G60 pistons and rods in it ( I think the diameters match up Im just making sure).

and If I could do this. what would my new engine size and compression be?

I believe I would have a engine size of 2.0L and a compression ratio of about 9.3:1, butttt if I used a low compression headgasket for a 2.0L block, it would be 8.3:1 because of the 1 point drop.

would this motor work??? I have bent valves and am going to replace them but If I can put a 2.0L block in at the same time I will.

I know I will need new rings and to get the rods matched to the crank, I would also shot peen my rods for some added strength...

anyone know what else I would need IF this crazy Idea would actually work...?

Before counting on using your G60 Pistons I would get them checked out professionally by getting them xray'd. When you bent the valves it is likely that the valves then "kissed" the pistons. This can cause factures in the pistons not visible to the naked eye but will weaken them to a point where when you start your engine running again can become more serious when the pistons detonate causing more damage to the internals of your engine as fragments of pistons can jam open the valves causing them to bend, score the cylinders that turn the block to scrap and much more!!

Get them checked out first!

yeah I am getting the cylinder walls honed and the pistons dished so they will check then.

I also found I can just use the 2.0L crankshaft to make my car 1984cc displacement or something of that nature. so it will be a 2.0L

dunno if it will help but that guy Killa, who was running a 500bhp 16vt, posted up about G60 pistons on CGTI..

hy dont you run an ABF motor with stock ABA pistons? this would give you an 8:1 compression ratio and you'd still have the displacement of a 2Liter motor (1984cc) and the best rod ratio of all 3 motors (1.71) This would get you a low compression motor that would rev very smoothly.

Keep in mind the the worst choice would be the myth, the G60 motor since they have short rods (136mm) and a very poor rod ratio. The only thing good about them is the oil squirters that every 16v motor has and a 22mm wrist pin, but then again vw pins only start being a concern at around 700whp...

wouldn't the bore be the wrong size for your g60 pistons?

which 2litre block are you planning to use?

I only ask coz I am considering doing the same att.

cheers.

standard G60 bore is 82.5mm, 2.0L bore is 82.5mm.

G60 rod size = 136mm

2.0L rod size = 156mm

G60 stroke = 86.4mm

2.0L stroke = 92.8mm

I picked up a 2.0L crank yesterday and will be disassembling the motor this week.

getting the rods matched to the new bearings, honing the engine myself (my friend is a machine shop guy).

pistons are going to be checked for damage from my bent valves (268 cam)

it will be 1984cc displacement but I am having trouble finding an exact compression ratio.

just checked the bentley manual for a pg block and it confirms cylinder bore diameter as

81 mm as I believe all 1800 cc VW engines are ???

negative ghost rider...

G60's use 82.5mm pistons, Im almost 100% on that, according to ETKA

if we used 81's we would have a 1.6l engine due to our crankshaft stroke only being 86.4

I need to check but it doesnt make a difference cause Im just changing the crank.

:?

I really don't think so but hey I have been wrong b4 so..

I don't believe you will be able to use the 92.8 mm crank in a g60 block either,atleast not without modifications....

good luck.

Let us know how you got on as I'm interested 4 my car.

we will see how things work out.

they sell the crankshaft for the block by itself as an upgrade part at autotech so Im pretty sure it will fit. it says 2.0L 16V (plenty of those laying around if this one doesnt fit) or 2.0L 8V audi.

not a big deal if it doesnt.

you were right 81mm but its wierd that they are 81mm pistons with an 82.5mm head.

Im really looking forward to disassembling this motor anyway...

does anyone know the compression ratio change if the rod length is 136mm vs 156mm? is it direct? 156mm rod on 92.8 has a comp ratio of 10:1, looking for value on 136mm rod

All 2.0 9A engines have 82.5mm bores.

Before getting my last low milage 9A valver mill i was also thinking about putting bigger pistons into the PG 1800 engine block,i was going to use 84mm Fiat coupe turbo16.v Mahle jobbies that i picked up for 60euro used.

The oil squirter cut-outs match as does the piston pin diam.(22mm),you could then use the 9A's steel head gasket on the PG block,just knock down 1 locating pin on the back of the cyl.block.

Which reminds me,i've got 4 pistons and a box of brand new Goetez piston rings for sale...

All 2.0 9A engines have 82.5mm bores.

Before getting my last low milage 9A valver mill i was also thinking about putting bigger pistons into the PG 1800 engine block,i was going to use 84mm Fiat coupe turbo16.v Mahle jobbies that i picked up for 60euro used.

The oil squirter cut-outs match as does the piston pin diam.(22mm),you could then use the 9A's steel head gasket on the PG block,just knock down 1 locating pin on the back of the cyl.block.

Which reminds me,i've got 4 pistons and a box of brand new Goetez piston rings for sale...

You can't bore the PG engine to 84mm its just fractionally too big.

When I did mine I was asked if I wanted to go big to 83mm or extreme maximum 83.5mm Any further was off limits as taking it too far and engine would be too fragile

yeah... I dont think I will need pistons but if I do how much are you asking?

I always seem to notice VEEDUBBED has something for sale... =-| hmmmmm

I also think I may be screwed on the crank I did buy, its ok I can go and get the one I do need in a heartbeat.

The ABA crank is wierd for some reason

I think I need a 9A crankshaft from a 2.0L 16V passat.

anyway I see that they market it as a 2.0L conversion but I think its something like 1.91L so its only a 1.9L motor... kinda sketchy when they promise 2.0L

I just found out its 2.0L because I have to shave the pistons down the same length as the extension in the crank.

anyone know how much a G60 piston can be shaved safely? I think I need something like 6.4mm of shaving so 1/2 cm or 5mm, wait shouldnt I be able to do that because that stupid dish extends out that far?

Bluejoe,

is the fire pic in your sig because of a kit or because of the motor?

and what did you do to that motor?

Bluejoe,

is the fire pic in your sig because of a kit or because of the motor?

and what did you do to that motor?

It's the engine. Currently up for sale (the engine that is!)

Is a 2031cc Using the original PG Block. Complete one off engine

Overbored to 83.5mm

Custom designed pistons by JE

9a Crank and Rods

Retaining Oil Squirters, but additional piston lubrication due to the added oil galleries in the 9a rods that teh G60 rods dont have!

Fully lightened, flat planed, and balanced bottom end

ported flowed head

Custom Map

etc

etc

etc

Teh list goes on and on

At that point was pushing 245bhp but 246lb/ft of torque. But that was before the Lysholm Charger and Methanol injection went on. No measured figures since. But was DAMN quick!

And threw flames ALOT!

As dirtytorque said its up for sale!

Don't think about milling off 6mm from the G60 PG pistons,you'll be moving the top ring up to close to the piston crown which is undesirable in a FI mill.

I milled 2mm off the tops of the 9A's piston crowns and have had no issues even when over boosting to 1.6Bar turbo pressure,no blow-by problems apart from the normal amount and it didn't cost much either,forged jobbies cost alot and require an engine block strip to prepare the bores,not exactly an afternoon walk in the park...

If you have to use standard Vw pistons the 9A valver's jobbies are quite good,much better than the oil KR 1800cc pistons with that shiyte valve cut out that was too long and too deep so unburnt fuel gets trapped and detonates the edge(even when running NA that's the first place they get eaten away).

If you want those pistons and rings make an offer and we can go from there.

Cheers.

well I have an 81mm bore I dont plan on boring the block to 82.5mm I just want to put the crank in I will change the pistons to KR pistons if they are the only ones that will fit (I can have the dished so I havent got most of that valve cut out)

I just need to know what pistons to use if I cant use my G60 pistons without overboring. If I absolutely had to bore the block to fit the right pistons I would.

I will only get cast pistons, I dont like forged jobs (they consume massive amounts of oil).

So can I use KR pistons (81mm) in my G60 block with 136mm rods and a 2.0L crank and still stay beneath the deck?

Or do I HAVE to use 9A pistons? do I have to use a 9A block? Im completely lost now....

If I were to use 9A pistons wouldnt I want to use the 2.0L pistons because they lack any valve cut out?

Slow down mate,now your getting me confused,what kind of job are you planning on doing?,

are you going to remove and totally strip the engine?,is the block still in the car's engine bay minus head/sump?.

I don't know about the 2.0 crankshaft setup but if you stick to an 81mm bore you've got a few good choices of piston available such as the Audi S3 pistons,Audi S2 etc the problem is the gungeon pin,20mm on the S3 pistons but PG 1800cc pistons have a 22mm pin.The only piston that springs to mind with an 82.5mm bore is the O/E Mahle pistons fitted to the 5cyl fiat coupe T.20v engine.I'm not sure about the pin diameter or the oil spray jets though.

The problem is that,there aren't any ready made turbo pistons available from Vw in that dia.

The valve cut-outs on the 2.0 9A pistons are simple cut-out half moon shapes milled into the top of the piston crown,the cut-outs don't go near the edge of the crown,unlike the KR versions.

I wonder if the Diesel versions(81mm) would be ok for FI,i mean,they can take a 23.1 CR without any problems all day long,kinda like boosting a petrol engine with 2.5Bar turbo pressure,shiyt now i'm probably going to open an engine for the 300th time and try them in an old G60 PG block...

The motor is being completely removed from the car,

I want to use a 2.0L crankshaft with a 92.8 mm stroke, not the 86.4mm stock one

I need pistons and rods that will let me use them in the standard block, overbore or not.

sticking with 1.8L on a rebuild is not worth it to me.

what pistons and rods can I use? I am using stuff from VW USA engines.

we have

ABA 2.0L

KR 16V 1.8

9A 16V 2.oL

8V 1.8L from golf and jetta (vento) 88-92

cabriolet engines

audi 5000s, 4000s, 100, 80

I will converse with ETKA when I get home

no diesels (or very few)

what can I use and do I need a different block?

no fiats

if I take a 2.0L block with crankshaft and rods and everything what will my compression ratio be? stock its 10:1 I would be using the vw corrado head.

if I took 144mm rods from a KR motor and replaced the 156mm rods from the 2.0L what would my compression ratio be then?

12mm drop

does anyone know how far from the deck the pistons sit in KR, 9A, 2.0L, G60???

this would be very helpful right about now...