Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Ins. Company asked for like for like adverts for my car, how

Hi

Some of you maybe aware that my car had a bump and the insurance company have rated it cat-d. They have never seen the car. The only damage was to bonnet, slam panel, headlight and grille.

They have asked for adverts of like for like cars for sale. Obviously there are not many aqua blue K reg VR6 with 130000 miles on clock but stealth rebuild, leather interior, koni/h&r etc. So how close does close have to be? Does it have to be a 93 like mine with the same mileage (within 10000 miles) or can be a newer car but with more mileage etc?

I need this money and they wont let me buy the car back. They offered me £1700.

Thanks

Points to remember

1) You still own the car till you accept their offer

2) you can buy the car back *unless* it states clearly in your insurance contract that you can't (and you signed it)

3) their offer is exactly that - an offer at the start of a bargaining process, don't be afraid to suck your breath in and scratch your chin a bit ..

As for adverts .. just scan autotrader and the forums for similar cars. As long as you can say "this one is £3k and is not in as good condition/has more miles/needs serious work" then it will clearly indicate their offer is too low.

Points to remember

2) you can buy the car back *unless* it states clearly in your insurance contract that you can't (and you signed it)

3) their offer is exactly that - an offer at the start of a bargaining process, don't be afraid to suck your breath in and scratch your chin a bit ..

As for adverts .. just scan autotrader and the forums for similar cars. As long as you can say "this one is £3k and is not in as good condition/has more miles/needs serious work" then it will clearly indicate their offer is too low.

yep just scan as many forums as possible save the pages and send them the list, print outs if necessaryt with comments like, this has this, but mine had this and maye include the bills for the parts you have fitted, or adverts for parts, if you havent any receipts i'm sure people on here wouldnt mind scannign a few invoices and sending them through?

Points to remember

yep just scan as many forums as possible save the pages and send them the list, print outs if necessaryt with comments like, this has this, but mine had this and maye include the bills for the parts you have fitted, or adverts for parts, if you havent any receipts i'm sure people on here wouldnt mind scannign a few invoices and sending them through?[/quote:df2e4]

Thanks I have a folder full of receipts including some rather large ones and very recent.

Sent the letter just waiting for their reply now. Have I said I dont like insurance companies? If I took this amount of time to pay them they would not be happy!

I would not worry about trying to get the same spec, concentrate on getting adverts for cars that are a similar year and/or mileage and for sale at a similar amount to what you have your car valued at so show that their offer is too low. You can then back this up with facts like your has leather, rebuild etc etc

best of luck

Martin 8)