Sign in to follow this  
reubenwilliams

Spoiler malfunction! ideas?

Hey all,

had a look in search but couldn't find any answers.

Just got the over heating fixed and now the spoiler has stopped working, Not at the top or the bottom but the middle!!! Doesnt even work from the manual switch.

It looks silly :( . From what I can see no fuses in the box are blown - are there any hidden anywhere else? could it be the motor? or is there a more common fault?

Cheers guys

You can wind it down manually from inside the boot though, so at least you can stop it looking silly. Does operating the switch lead to a clicking noise from the spoiler. If so it is still getting power and is probably the inside of the mechanism which has got gunked up. It is fairly easy to take it out and clean it if this is the case, just a bit time consuming (and with the chnace of shearing off a captive nut, doh). Have a look on the search for info if that's the case as it has been covered lots before.

motors do pack up - there is a thread on how to fix this somewhere - but I'd have thought it would be gradual. Was it slow to move before? Suppose you're not sure. Sounds more electrical... tried swapping fuses? Didnt accidently dislodge any wirse when fiddling with other faults?

If it's a fuse problem you'll also lose rev counter, fuel gauge, MFA functions and dash warning lights (although not the blue, main beam led!). Mine blew sunday, it was either no. 15 or 16 i think, 15amp (blue) anyhow.

Colin

If it's a fuse problem you'll also lose rev counter, fuel gauge, MFA functions and dash warning lights (although not the blue, main beam led!). Mine blew sunday, it was either no. 15 or 16 i think, 15amp (blue) anyhow.

Colin

Not necessarily because what exactly got wired to which fuse seemed to depend on what day of the week it was and which bloke was doing it.

When my spoiler popped a fuse, it took out the fuse that also did the ABS and sunroof.

Essentially - check all the fuses to see if they're OK.

Not necessarily because what exactly got wired to which fuse seemed to depend on what day of the week it was and which bloke was doing it.

:lol: :lol:

Good point.

What the Feck were they all smoking in Karmann's electrical section back then????

YOU ARE ALL STARS!!!! 8) Number 15. Blue. 15 amp. not a happy fuse... So I shouldnt be looking for a serious cause then? these just go every once in a while?

Cheers for your all help, new fuse tomorrow morning!

Poo. :mad2: Blew another fuse. the hunt shall continue... I am going to remove the trim and unplug the motor to see if It blows another without that circuit., just to try and narrow the hunt down! sounds like a wiring diagram would be useless unless they were issued to individual cars!!!

Good plan. Sounds like the spoiler though TBH. Luckily for me it was a 17 year old fuse on it's last legs. If it is the spoiler it may just need a clean up, do a search and you'll find a link to a yank site on dismantling and reassembly.......if it's not on the knowledge base!

Good luck,

Colin

If the spoiler fuse keeps blowing its usually because the spoiler mech has got all gunked up over the years and the sheer struggle that the motor has to go through to get the spoiler to go up and down causes the fuse to blow.

There was a guide I linked to on here (have a search about) for full info on how to clean it out and grease it but its a bit of a pig of a job.. but.. either that or blown fuses. And a full new mechanism from VW is ridiculous money!

If the spoiler fuse keeps blowing its usually because the spoiler mech has got all gunked up over the years and the sheer struggle that the motor has to go through to get the spoiler to go up and down causes the fuse to blow.

There was a guide I linked to on here (have a search about) for full info on how to clean it out and grease it but its a bit of a pig of a job.. but.. either that or blown fuses. And a full new mechanism from VW is ridiculous money!

It's not too bad a job, apart from a) the captive nuts, and b) actually untangling it from the boot mechanism and rear wiper - you need about 6 arms. Took me about an hour to get out. If you're free this weekend and can make your way towards J13 of the M25 I can take you through it (I even have most of the bits of spare mechanism laying around as I bought a spare when I did mine).

It's not too bad a job, apart from a) the captive nuts, and b) actually untangling it from the boot mechanism and rear wiper - you need about 6 arms. Took me about an hour to get out. If you're free this weekend and can make your way towards J13 of the M25 I can take you through it (I even have most of the bits of spare mechanism laying around as I bought a spare when I did mine).

Hi mate

Still havent got round to fixing mine. Couldn't get the captive nuts out so eventually decided to cut through the plastic with a hot knife....worked a treat.Tried to get the whole thing out but got beaten by the boot lock. I'll have another go when the weather improves and I get some spare time

:lol: :lol:

Good point.

What the Feck were they all smoking in Karmann's electrical section back then????

When the spoiler blows a fuse on my VR you cant start the car.....fuel pump on the same circuit I think!!!!!!

Hi guys

JMC, thats a great offer and much appreciated (nice people on here) but am so busy atm, moving house and and general house chores, and other funny things that just take time! chipping tiles is the new friday night activity of choice - and knocking door holes in walls.

Spoiler mech sounds correct, I tried to wind it down the other day - assuming i was winding the funny rounded/ inverted rectangle shaped bit? couldn't get it to move an inch or a cm.. maybe a degree (but not two) !

Mine seems to be routed with the ABS through that fuse as the warning light doesn't come on any more - so at least one good thing from this then! maybe it was that big powerful warning light because my ABS has no rear pickups :wink: ??? that propaply drawing 15.1 amps? lol maybe I can dig out a fuse from my mums car and use that to test...

cheers all more soon - weather dependant

Spoiler mech sounds correct, I tried to wind it down the other day - assuming i was winding the funny rounded/ inverted rectangle shaped bit? couldn't get it to move an inch or a cm.. maybe a degree (but not two) !

That's OK mate. Just to check, that funny rounded, inverted rectangle shaped bit need to be pulled towards you before you try and turn it (it's locked in place when it's pushed in). It pops out a few mm's and then you should be able to turn it. If you can't turn it even then, then the chances are everything is really, really gummed up. best to just disconnect the spoiler for a while until you get it fixed.

the spoiler mech should be very easy to move assuming the handle is pulled out, on mine the spoiler will actually drop down under its own weight with the handle out.

Well tonight I shall give pulling and turning a go! just turning deff not any fun! that sound like it could be a useful tip! and maybe something that I should have tried!