Sign in to follow this  
corradog60stage4

Installation of Mocal sandwich plate and oil cooler

Today had some time to put in the MOCAL thermostatic sandwich plate I had.

Bad thing was the barbed fitting was bigger than the 1/4 hose i have.

remove the OEM oil cooler.

now you got two open ended hoses that you need to plug or connect.

Two options

1. get bigger hose

2. get smaller barbed fitting

e987effa.jpg

e987ef6b.jpg

e987ef16.jpg

e987ee9a.jpg

e987ed95.jpg

e987ed36.jpg

e987ec94.jpg

e987ec0f.jpg

went to turboquip yesterday and ordered some fitting.

picked them up this morning and will probably install them this weekend

e95aa321.jpg

e95aa387.jpg

e95aa3e1.jpg

deleting the stock oil cooler leads to another issue.

what to do with the two coolant hoses?

I got one hose that does not have the extra oil cooler part.

so now left with the other hose so i plugged it with a copper plumbing one.

e95328c1.jpg

copper plug

e953284f.jpg

i put it in this way in case in the future i need to remove it easily with needle nose pliers

e95327f7.jpg

clamped it shut

e9532788.jpg

got some teflon tape to get the fitting on the sandwich plate

e9532727.jpg

e95325e2.jpg

e9532559.jpg

e95324b6.jpg

pushed in the hoses on to the barbs

e9532459.jpg

routing the oil hoses

e95323b5.jpg

instead of using a 9 row cooler i had from a volvo. I decided that running high boost and the spirited driving i like to do. I picked up a Brand new Mocal 19 row oil cooler instead.

the width is the same and mounting holes in identical spots. so no need to redrill. it was only the height was another 2 inch more which I have clearance for. so upgrading was no problem.

e9269b26.jpg

e923fe04.jpg

e9269ba3.jpg

e9269be2.jpg

e9269c33.jpg

Hi mate - good pics!

You need to buy 2 MK1 water hoses to replace (they didn't have the OE head exchanger as the GTi's came with a proper mocal style one!) - they cost about £15 over here for the pair from VW 8)

I've got a few questions (i'm installing in a VR btw):

1. How do you secure the hoses to the hose barbs on the sandwich plate - is it just a push fit and can you put jubilee clips to secure ie is it strong enough to resist a burst due to oil pressure?

2. With the two pipes that are blanked off (previously going to the oild oil cooler) i've used a straight piece of Cu pipe with the old blue spring clips. Is this secure enough or is it better to use jubilee clips? Again, i'm concerned about these pipes blowing off at high pressure in the system. The Cu pipe is just a straight piece with no lip, and i've cut back the two hose parts to minimise the bending.

many thanks

I've got a few questions (i'm installing in a VR btw):

1. How do you secure the hoses to the hose barbs on the sandwich plate - is it just a push fit and can you put jubilee clips to secure ie is it strong enough to resist a burst due to oil pressure?

2. With the two pipes that are blanked off (previously going to the oild oil cooler) i've used a straight piece of Cu pipe with the old blue spring clips. Is this secure enough or is it better to use jubilee clips? Again, i'm concerned about these pipes blowing off at high pressure in the system. The Cu pipe is just a straight piece with no lip, and i've cut back the two hose parts to minimise the bending.

many thanks

it depends on the barbs you use at the sandwich plate. some are just push fit and some require the clamps. so as long as you know what barb you have then just follow the manufactures instructions. for me i have the push fit ones but still added the clamps for some security and peace of mind.

for your second question if you Cu pipe is the same diameter of the oil cooler inlet and outlet the old clamps should suffice but if your Cu diameter is smaller i would suggest using other clamps.

good luck

thanks for that pal. The barbs i have are similar to the ones in your picture with two tapered steps each on them. I think i'll use some jubilee clamps just in case.

The Cu pipe is the same diameter as the oil cooler, but it doesnt have the slip reducing step, ie its just a straight piece with no larger diameter section on it.

unfortunately i didnt take any along the way, but i will try and take some of the completed install this weekend.

lol, you westerners are snap happy!

All that stuff looks ok, I would have blanked off that coolant pipe aswell.

I hope you REALLY like spirited driving, because that oil cooler might cool your engine oil down below optimum? Just food for thought really :)

lol, you westerners are snap happy!

All that stuff looks ok, I would have blanked off that coolant pipe aswell.

I hope you REALLY like spirited driving, because that oil cooler might cool your engine oil down below optimum? Just food for thought really :)

i like more than spirited driving.

i modified the corrado with this in mind so it must be able to take the constant high revs and power shifts. LOL! :D

Should be fine as the sandwhich plate is thermostatic as well

Part numbers for hoses are:

1 x 026121053G

1 x 068121063M