VR6

Corrado buying guide - INPUT WANTED!

For me (speaking as a purist) I'd like to see less emphasis on the "a good set of coilovers .." bit. Nothing wrong with stock suspension, and chances are if you find a car with good stock suspension it's likely to have been driven less hard than one with coilovers... Same goes for big alloys, blue LED windscreen squirters, etc, etc..

Except the suspension's a bit soft and gives the c a tractor's ride hight

Well I think you only consider the standard Corrado ride height 'tractor' like after you have owned one for a while.

Nick's standard black VR6 is on standard suspension, and I was looking at the pictures the other day thinking how the VR seemed to sit just right on its alloys.

I do really like the Corrado in standard shape though, suspension and all.. I understand they need to be lowered sometimes, but I not a huge fan of totally decking a car.

My point was made as a potential buyer though. Whatever your personal opinion of the ride height on coilovers vs standard and the softness of the standard setup, even the guys on the forum that are into serious mods will tell you that they usually look for a car that's as standard as possible to use as a base, cos it's more likely to have been driven carefully and looked after.

I'm keeping my tractor ride height, too, given the size of the speed ramps round here.. Admitted it's a bit soft for track use, but on the road it's a nice compromise, IMHO. Even in standard form this car is WAY better suspended than anything made in it's era.

Hmmm...i'm sure i've seen something like this before :wink:

You may want to add looking for over spray in the inner doors (where the hinges are) boot etc. Tale tell sign of a resprayed car.

maybe you should give the year when an early corrado becomes a later model? Obvious to those in the know but to an amateur like me its not! :lol:

You mention the sticker on the tailgate. There are actually two more barcode stickers, one on each sill under the doors. If one or both of these is missing it can indicate possible accident repair at some point. :)

Presence of spark plug removal tool under VR6 bonnet - I think that these were present from new

Is that true :? I can't even see the space where mine should be :cry:

maybe you should give the year when an early corrado becomes a later model? Obvious to those in the know but to an amateur like me its not! :lol:

1.8 16v - early body shape/interior

2.0 16v - late body shape/interior

G60 - upto late 1991 - early body shape/interior

G60 - from late 1991 - late body shape/early interior

VR6 - late body shape/interior ?

Tom,

Suggest you might want to add the following

o Check that the ventilation control panel functions competely. The fan should work in all four positions and the "direction" dial should also work. For later (dial type panel) a replacement is over £200 and slider type panel used on early cars is no longer available from VW.

o Check for seized rear brake calipers as this is a common fault (although easily rectified)

The only other thing I'd clarify is the "Make sure it doesn't pull" statement. When I first read that I thought you meant "make sure it doesn't accelerate" doh!

Excellent post & guide.

John

you can also get the 2.0 16v with the late body shape but early interior......as with very early VR6's including the "campaign"

you can also get the 2.0 16v with the late body shape but early interior......as with very early VR6's including the "campaign"

:roll:

Cheers lee, James, Ice White, Steve, John, Rodders and Steve again. :D

I'll update the thread in the morning.

Thanks - keep them coming :)

a few others......apologies if someone has already mentioned

*VR6's have distributors til approx 1993 then coil-packs which can cause problems

*94> have the smaller front lip-spoiler

*standard wheels are 15 inch with 6j-6.5j widths

1.8 16v's normally have sebring alloys.....BBS x-spokes were optional

1.8 G60's available with either sebring's or more commonly the BBS's

2.0 8v's come with a 5 spoke design........soft-spokes?????

2.0 16v's available with estorils and also later ones could be had with the same alloys as the 8v

2.9VR6's available with monte-carlo's(very early & campaign),speedlines(predominatly),solitudes(storm-only)and also optional BBS x-spokes(quite rare)

*G60 only available as LHD til late 1990 H-plate onwards

*G60 & VR6 SLC only models available in US both with auto transmission option

thats all i can think of at the moment :wink:

Coil-pack is one that could be added Roddy - cheers.

As for a few of the others, such as late/early style bodies/interiors, wheels etc - I think this might be straying a little bit from the purpose of becoming a buying guide. It seems to be turning a bit encyclopaedic (is that even a word? If not, it should be! :)).

Question - should this thread maybe become a reference guide for Corrado facts (including the buyers guide & potential problems/fixes) and we have the separate word doc as the Buyers checklist?? Or should it stick to it's original purpose of a purely a buyers reference guide?

You may want to add a few items (or indeed the whole table) from this options list. It's from the 1995 Corrado Brochure, and gives a good guide as to what was standard, and what was extra - and the silly prices VW charged! Please note that traction control was not standard on the 2.0 16V - just the ABS :wink:

is the original post being updated or do i have to trawl through all the replys??

im looking at my potential VR6 purchase on friday and i want to know what to look for

True Rob, the information isn't finalised yet.

But, I would say that there isn't too much more information to be added - quite the opposite in fact, I'd say that some of the information will be pruned out.

Right guys, seeing as though the guide has been in circulation for some time now, I was just wondering if anyone, particularly the new users to the forum, has anything that they feel either needs amending/updating or anything that should be added?

Cheers

The most recent version is in the first post of this thread.

why? i dont know but c's seem to be prone to rear end shunts , a few have been wrote off on the forum this way

so it worth checking the rear slam panel joins (where they meet the quarter panel) for spidering or cracking, its worth lifting the carpet in the boot to check aswell