Sign in to follow this  
plateletboy

how much free play on caliper slider pins..??

Hey All,

I have finally got around to doing ALL the suspension bits and bobs this week on the VR6... New rubber, springs, and dampers everywhere.........

Whilst doing this I've had a good look at the disks and pads which look terrible.. the inner pad is rounded and only making contact on about 40% of its surface.... So, I've ordered new disks and pads from GSF yesterday.

The thing is although the caliper and carrier freely slides on the pins, there is a fair amount of lateral movement.. Is this normal.? or rather how much movement should there be?? could this have caused the disk and pads to wear unevenly? and finally can i just buy new pins and 'bushes'.? i think VW will now only sell the whole carrier....... which i fear will be expensive....

cheers,

pb

I'm not sure how much movement they should have, but I would have thought it won't affect the grip on the disk.

However, the common cause of them sticking is the end edges of the pad backing plate scraping/jamming against the little slide it runs in. (hopefully that makes more sense if you're looking at the calliper in front of you).

If you clean up the sides of the pad backing plates and the edges of the bits they slide against, then you should be ok. A bit of copper slip on there won't hurt either.

I can't remember much lateral movement!??!

Are the pins still straight?

Might be worth buying a repair kit and re-greasing the pins etc?!

I would have thought that was the main thing?!

Unfortunately you are looking at >£100 for new pins as they only come with carrier.

:(

Cheers Guys,

The pins look straight and as said the two bits slide well, it just feels a bit 'loose'.

I've never known slider pins to wear out though. In real terms there isn't really a great deal of distance travelled along them, just a few 10ths of a mm i would have thought - dont they normally just seize?? Also as the piston moves freely and as the pressure will be applied evenly across pad-disk-pad-piston, will lateral play matter..!??!

I'm going to give them all a good clean up and copper slip the bits the pads slide on.. refit it all and just keep an I on it for the next 1000 miles....

£100..!! Eeekk..!!

pb

The pins on the rear of mine are starting to wear, but that's mainly the seals that the boots fit onto, rather than the pin distorting.

I've noticed slightly wobbly pins. Think warped disks speed up the wearing process. I couldn't buy new carriers so I refitted them. Can't see them snapping , and the caliper can't actually go very far, so I'll leave them for the time being.