Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

manually lifting electric windows

ive tried a search but nothing came up. need a quick answer, going to edition 38 2morow, well i wont do if i cant shut my windows!

my central locking and windows have stopped working, tried messing about with pump, blew and sucked into it and the door lockes went up and down. couldn't find anything else.

i cant manually move the windows,

i need to close my windows, where is the control unit, or how do i do it?

i just need them closed for this weekend!

thanks, neil.

windows and central locking on same fuse ,not in the normal place but i the fuse box above the relays in the middle try the fuse first

Rob

that fuse had gone, tried to replace it with another 20amp, kept blwoing them tho. so something is shorting it out, what can i do to try and sort this?

maybe unplug the rear locking pump, then try it, or maybe unpluggin something else?

any one any ideas?

with the c/l motor unpluged and all the window switches unpluged put another fuse in if it blows first thing i would check is if the harrness that takes the power to the windows is split and earthing on bear metal as it goes into the door ,try the door open and closed different positions of the door may stop the short so you can get the windows up get to E38 and sort it next week

Rob

nice one, cheers mate.

Am i right in thinking that the unit behind the drivers rear quater near the seat is the control unit for the windows?

i had a problem we my windows not goin up,i found a seperate inline fuse above where the fuse box is,changed that fuse an then they worked

(after raggin all the door cards off etc :lol: )

i had a problem we my windows not goin up,i found a seperate inline fuse above where the fuse box is,changed that fuse an then they worked

(after raggin all the door cards off etc :lol: )

thing is, i cant even put a fuse in where its meant to go. going to have a good go at disconnecting everything 2morow, see if i can get the windows up!

ok i disconected everything, and the fuse still blew.

so i put a direct 12v to two wires to the drivers window motor, nothing happened, then i switched the pos and neg round and sparks came from the battery when i was touching the posative.

then i looked at car, scratching my head and saw that the PASSENGER door window had closed????

i have managed to undo the mechanism on drivers window and wedge and tie wrap it up.

but i have no idea where to start next week when i get back from ed38!

well thought id sorted this, diconnected the drivers lock wires and the fuse didnt blow, but now when i put the window down fully, they fuse blows every time!!!

hmm, i have an idea what it is.

the motor may have become slightly out of sync with the mechanism, so when the mech has reached the end of its travel the motor is still trying to run, and the stalled motor draws lots of current and blows the fuse.

I would try separating the motor and mechanism (should be some gold coloured torx bolts if its like my passat), operate the motor so that its in the "up" position. Install the mech and the glass (without motor) in the car and mark the position of the two arms in relation to each other when the window is closed.

Then remove the mech, make sure its in the right position as it was in the car then bolt the motor back on. It should now be indexed properly.

However, there might be a damaged tooth in the mech which cuased it to slip, did it go back up smoothly or did it make a clicky noise?