Sign in to follow this  
nick vr6

VR running rich

My 95 VR seems to be running too rich, I've replaced the cat with a stainless sports one, lambda, changed plugs and cleaned ISV, yet still get loads of black soot in the exhaust tail pipe. Want to get this sorted as I'm in danger of sooting up my new lambda (the one I replaced was caked in soot). VAG-COMed and get no fault codes. Could it be the high flow cat creating the soot , or am I going to bung it up with soot aswell as the lambda.

Did I mention the word soot enough? Don't know how else to describe it

If you have black soot in the tailpipe to that degree then the cat isn't working and no fault codes should indicate that the lambda sensor is working. I would get a pre cat (via the sniffer port) C0 test and a post cat (via the tailpipe) Co test and compare the results. At idle I would expect a Co reading of around 0.8% at lambda 1 and at the tailpipe a Co of 0 or at least no more than 0.1%. What is your ECU number? I can give you some live data info to look at but I need the ECU number. When you are driving along at a steady speed, what is the engine temperature as seen by the ECU, displayed in measuring blocks 08, display group 001, display zone 2?