Sign in to follow this  
junkie

The Forced Induction 8V Thread

Now some might see this as pointless as its already forced in supercharged but as their is other ways to force the engine thought it may make a good place to ask some questions.

Then we get the full set stickied 8v,16v and VR :)

Stickied as requested..

This would be a good place to discuss any supercharger plans/issues as well as the turbo route.

Not sure if this is the roght place to post this, sorry if it is.

just wondering if anyone knows exactly how much extra bhp the stage 4 supercharger gives compared to the standard charger?

Cheers Rob

I don't know how much with it just been stage 4 on it's own, suspect just more throttle response as thats what mine did, but the idea is to get the chip and 68mm pulley to spin it faster to get the most out of the porting on the charger, then you would be seeing around the 190bhp-200bhp mark.

Cheers for the info junkie.

Will definately look into the chip and 68mm pully option. How much does this cost? Is G-Werks the best place to go for it? Are there any downsides apart from shorter re-furbishment intervals? 200BHP would be very nice though!!

Cheers

Rob

Having never been to Gwerkes (too far for me) i can't comment but the general concensus is these are the guys to use on the old G60.

Not sure but i think i may have the old set up PM me if your interested?

Yes shorter service intervals, there is also a 65mm pulley but your looking 20000 mile rebuilds and restricted rev range.

*random post alert*

does anyone know the differences in the head/block between a mk2 8v carb 1800 and the G60? I'll try to get engine codes if possible.

My jetta engine bay and Prodigal's G60 bay looks pretty similar once the fun parts have been removed...!

/random post

*random post alert*

not sure of the precise measurement differnces, but the G60 has a 16v crank and the head, block, con rods, valves and pistons are all different part numbers, the G60 is low compression for forced induction don't forget.

probably only the dizzy cap then or something :( :lol:

Junkie, you should stick up some engine bay pics or even conversion "in the middle of" pics if you have them?

that would be cool.

Very smart 8)

No wonder your torque is so good, look how long the intake pipe is! :lol:

What turbo are you using? Think I asked you that already didn't I? Senile dimenture sets in when you go past 30, LOL!

Ah yes, T60 wasn't it?

:lol:

In 3 years i will officially be an old gimmer too then going crackers, the future's bright......

It's a IHI VF22

I know you can tune the characteristics of the engine with the length of the intake, but surely it does not make that much difference does it?

Not really looked into it that much tbh.

Aha, the good old IHI..... popular with the Scooby boys!

Yeah intake length tuning has more of an effect on naturally aspirated motors but it can also alter a turbo engine's character too!

...It's a IHI VF22

after seeing Jabbas own IHI G60 round Mallory Park I was massively impressed, granted the weather was awful and they had the right tyres on, but the thing was slaughtering anything 1.8T and R32's and they were only running on low boost.

Aha, the good old IHI..... popular with the Scooby boys!

Yeah intake length tuning has more of an effect on naturally aspirated motors but it can also alter a turbo engine's character too!

Yep its the biggest VF turbo there is and i think they get around the 400bhp mark.

Can you explain further?

...It's a IHI VF22

after seeing Jabbas own IHI G60 round Mallory Park I was massively impressed, granted the weather was awful and they had the right tyres on, but the thing was slaughtering anything 1.8T and R32's and they were only running on low boost.

They don't actually run the VF22, it's either the VF23 or VF30 last i heard, to spool a litttle sooner, still does 300bhp though.

They run my old boost controller Greddy profec spec 2 and on low boost when it was in my car made it really progressive but still made 300bhp at the top end.

Anybody new to the G-lader/G60 engine or have you ever wondered how it works then

for the video used for dealer training. Even i learnt something.

hey all

newbie ere

ive been offered a 68mm pulley and sns chip however my chargers only stage 2 and only just been serviced :shock:

is it worth doing without having stage 4 rebuild? :?

Ta

Lee

Hi Lee,

I don't have a Stage 4 port on my G60 (yet :twisted:), but my SNS chip and 68mm pulley has made big differences in two areas:

1) More boost at lower rpm with the 68mm pulley, with boost topping out at about 1 bar at redline (14-15psi)

2) Anti-lag algorithm in the SNS chip radically reduces the time it takes for the ECU to change fuelling maps and get a response from throttle changes

The first just means that the engine can make more power (as long as all other engine things are up to it!), typically 10-15% more than stock, so up to the 180-190bhp region.

The second feels pretty savage at first until you realise how tame the factory code is (perhaps to provide a 'smooth' ride with 'economy'?)

I got this work done when my charger was serviced, back in August, and I had to wait for the new charger seals to bed in properly before I could go mad with the loud pedal - very hard to be restrained for 400 miles! :lol:

However, you also need to make sure that the tuning is right, as mine was originally a little bit rich, and when my lambda died that became very rich, so it has recently been sluggish and with poor mpg to boot. Daz at G-Werkz gave it a decent tune up a couple of weeks ago and now it flies and gives 30+ mpg on a 10 mile burn 8)

A couple of things you'd notice are the higher pitch hum of the charger with a 68mm pulley, and if you remove the 'trumpet' from the airbox, you can get a weird beating noise as the charger and engine noises alternate between reinforcing each other and canceling each other - sounds just like a badly worn bearing, but is absolutely fine - just an acoustic effect. Still forced me to put the trumpet back in though!

Now that I've got the fuelling sorted, a new cat and a non-blowing exhaust, it is really showing what it can do - namely plaster a permagrin onto my face :D

So, I'd say yes, it is worth doing even though you don't have a Stage 4 - that additional porting will make the most of a non-stock pulley but is not essential before you upgrade the charger speed and ECU.

PS. I also had a stand-alone oil supply plumbed into the charger, so that the oil pressure feeding the bearings is not engine rpm related, not as hot as the engine, and not as dirty - it has worked a treat so far, the charger oil is still golden colour, it gets less hot and I know it is getting a steady supply at all revs (not starved at idle nor popping the seals at redline!)

PS. I also had a stand-alone oil supply plumbed into the charger, so that the oil pressure feeding the bearings is not engine rpm related, not as hot as the engine, and not as dirty - it has worked a treat so far, the charger oil is still golden colour, it gets less hot and I know it is getting a steady supply at all revs (not starved at idle nor popping the seals at redline!)

Is that a kit you brought or self made?

Bought - Steve at Pitstop Developments fitted it while Daz was refurbing my charger - see pics on my member's gallery thread: http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... =0#p703364

Not the cheapest mod, and probably easy to do if you are reasonably mechanically able (I'm getting there!), but I'm really glad I did it - think it may extend the life of my G60 and could improve its performance...

Next up in the quest for maximum efficiency :wink: is the phenolic inlet gasket that I got from the States last year, but haven't had the guts to tear my inlet manifold apart to fit it yet :oops:

Before I do that, I'm going to plumb a digital thermometer into the throttle body or nearby area, so that I can take before and after readings... More news when that's all done.

Anyone else done this mod, and what were the results (empirical and/or subjective)?

Has anyone gone the charge cooler route instead of the FMIC way?

Looking for advice and pics

Ta

Lee

Hi guys,

After having owned a white 91 corrado G60 for a while the charger gave out (on 200,000 miles, 1 owner from new, original charger!) and also a cyclist ran into the side of me denting the rear quarter panel. As it is high mileage and a bit tatty i decided to break her up for parts and a few weeks ago i bought this http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/459201.htm

since owning it i have re-wired the engine bay, slapped on some red and clear rear in-pros, checked all engine sensors isv etc and i adjusted the timing to stop it pinking.

It runs really well :norty:

Plans for summer:

440cc injectors

16v fuel pump

Upgrade fpr

re-map

Oil cooler

Gearbox

The gearbox in the car is standard and currently at 150,000 miles, problem is it whines a little under de-acceleration . I have recently bought a new 02A gearbox code ATN and am thinking of putting some CTN ratios into it so the car has longer legs, it needs them!

Just looking for some advice and pointers to take this engine in the right direction

Good buy and hope it makes the 300bhp. :D

The ratios are stupidly short in that i think as far as i know its not the standard box on it, also you can just drop in the whole CTN gearbox.