Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Gearbox Rebuild

Has anyone rebuilt their gearbox before? My 5th gear has finally pretty much given up the ghost, and I would like it back, the symtoms are that you have to push hard to get it into 5th, and now more often than not, it will kick the gear lever out, and grind badly. I believe this is a symptom of a knackered synchro.

What would the rough cost of the parts for a rebuild be? I assume I'd want a full set of synchros and bearings, and possibly a new 5th gear.

theres a good place donw here mate, think its medway transmissions. ill try get the number for you. Pants has a few boxes at the moment too

Yeah, I looked at pant's selection, but they are still second hand boxes, and could well fail in a few thousand miles too.

Would appreciate the number. Need to get the valver back on the road before I can do anything with the vr though :(

I believe Stealth's standard rebuild is around the £550 area, that doesn't include new cogs though. Seems a bit odd you've got issues with 5th, usually its 2nd which funnily enough it what's tiring on my box.

If you get another box, I'd be interested in your knackered one. I fancy doing a 2.0l 16v box with a VR final drive.... :study:

VW synchro rings and gears are stupid prices from what I remember and any gearbox rebuilder will also have to wait for VW to get the bits, often on back order to Germany.

VW synchro rings and gears are stupid prices from what I remember and any gearbox rebuilder will also have to wait for VW to get the bits, often on back order to Germany.

Oh bother.... Maybe second hand is the way forward then :(

Going to try swapping the gear lever and cables as there is some random play at the lever end, which may not be helping.

Does anyone know if early and late cables and levers are the same? I have a full set from a 16v which I'll try on the vr.

Interestingly, the best (least grindy) way to engage 5th at the moment is to hold the engine revs around the correct mark and push it in with no clutch, got to vary the revs to get the right spot, but it slips in fairly easily then.

but it slips in fairly easily then.

Didn't think you'd have much problem slipping it in, Tom :lol:

Does anyone know if early and late cables and levers are the same? I have a full set from a 16v which I'll try on the vr.

yep, they are, the shift towers on the box change around 92 though.

Interestingly, the best (least grindy) way to engage 5th at the moment is to hold the engine revs around the correct mark and push it in with no clutch, got to vary the revs to get the right spot, but it slips in fairly easily then.

sounds like my dad's split screen 1954 Morris Minor :lol:

yep, they are, the shift towers on the box change around 92 though.

Good news!

sounds like my dad's split screen 1954 Morris Minor :lol:

lol... I was scurrying home in 4th last night, and wondered if that would be the best way to do it, double declutching hadn't helped (mostly due to my technique) but surprisingly in she went.

5th gear is easy to fix without removing the transmission from the car. Hell you can replace the whole 5th gear assembly, including the syncro if need be by only removing the 5th gear cover and wheel.

You also "might" be able to help you shifting into it with adjusting the shift cables.

This thread will show you about the 5th gear swap:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=767717

JMR sourced me a 70K mile second hand G60 box for £195 which I didn't think was too bad. Filled up with VAG synthetic gear oil and a new VR clutch the car never shifted so sweetly!