Sign in to follow this  
plateletboy

Do I need less camber if stiffened..??

I've just finished my suspension overhaul of all new rubbers, bushes, coils and dampers and am ready for my camber and toe to be set-up at the front end....

Now I was thinking that as the standard suspension produces lots of body roll, is that why the VR standard camber is quite 'extreme' at -1.2', thus keeping the wheels 'flatter' to the road during cornering..?? If so, as It is now stiffer and produces less body roll, should i use less camber so that more of the tyre is in full 'flat' contact with the road..??

does anybody get what i mean or have any thoughts or experience of this??

many thanks,

pb

Depends how you drive but i would keep the camber so when cornering you have more grip, as with the stiffer suspension its going to inspire more confidence to corner faster if thats how you drive so more grip would be good.

No, the logic is good, but I honestly don't know if it helps. I mean look at the BTCC guys, they run massive camber and there's almost no suspension movement, so it must be good. I think the car still leans, it just lifts the inside wheel more than compressing the outside one ..

cheers guys,

im booked in to have it set-up 14:00 today so am going to go with standard settings... I think this kind of adjustment might only be needed or made if i were doing track days and had lots of money for adjustments and to try lots of different settings......

I'm very excited about finally getting the suspension all right..... for now... I hope...!!

pb

Yes, sticking with -1.2 camber when lowered/stiffened works well, but it makes the steering a little heavier and may tramline a bit more, depending on your tyres.

-0.8 is the best compromise I've yet found with lowered suspension, but buy a simple camber gauge (a magnetic thing with a dial that sticks to the disc/hub) and experiment and see what you prefer. So long as the camber is same on both sides you won't throw off the tracking. You'll know if you've cocked it up because the steering wheel will point off centre to the wheel you messed up ;-)

that kind of camber could possibly give some tramlining, but surely you already felt it. I hated it, but also found that the cornering was lovely. Can also lead to inner tyre wear. As for toe, forget about it, as long as its not changed; you've not added more bhp.

well im £94 pounds poorer but the guys at cambridge performance tyres did a good job and got both sides spot on - no +or-tolerances for them..!!

The guy who took it for a test drive also commented how it was one of the nicest driving corrado's he has been in, as most 'crash and rattle over bumps...!!'

And i have to say im VERY pleased with the results... both cambers were way off - well i have had everything at the front off - and both toes were well off as well... it drives so much better, and for the first time since ive had it it feels like im steering it as opposed to guiding it...!!

Although the Weitec ultra GTs are 'Budget', i cant believe how good the ride is... maybe even better than standard as it doesn't wallow so much.... All i basically wanted was to lower the rear end to stop the small children pointing and laughing at me, and stiffen it a little bit.

So for people like me who just cant face rock hard suspension anymore, but want it a little bit lower and stiffer than standard, these Weitecs get my vote... and £65 a corner..!!

now i just need to get rid of the Nankang tyres on the front, and Jedi knight might be happy with the condition of his old car...!!

pb