Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

VR suspicious idle

Took the Rado for a run tonight and when i started it up it idled between 1500 to 1750 rpm for a few minutes. I drove 20 miles or so, left teh car to stand for half hour and then restarted and it did the same for 3 to 4 mins. I havent driven the car for a week however it did the same on the last occasion it was driven..

Anyone else had this happen or have any ideas??

You might be right mate, i tell you what though, once the idle had settled i had a great time driving it, id grown to take it for granted but its quick and the driving position and the smell of the leather and the noise, i love it... :)

Time for a VAG-COM session I think. Does it smell like it's running rich when you start it warm and it idles high? What's the MPG like? Obvious culprit would be one of the engine temp sensors ..

It doesnt smell rich, tbh honest its just like i had my foot on the gas, mpg is normal once running...

Good shout on the vagcom, i know a man who can help..

It doesnt smell rich, tbh honest its just like i had my foot on the gas, mpg is normal once running...

Do you want to drop in on your way past? I can at least fiddle with one car of yours this weekend?

Not a stuck/sticking throttle cable is it?

Not a stuck/sticking throttle cable is it?

That's a good call... Could be a sympton of it sitting up for a while.

Mine was playing funny with the idel when i started mine up after a couple of weeks without use Michael so i took the idle valve out and cleaned it up, cleaned the TB etc and then tried again, it idled a bit irratically for a bit but after a bit of a thrash it went back to normal. Might be worth doing whilst the bonnet will be up.

Mine was playing funny with the idel when i started mine up after a couple of weeks without use Michael so i took the idle valve out and cleaned it up, cleaned the TB etc and then tried again, it idled a bit irratically for a bit but after a bit of a thrash it went back to normal. Might be worth doing whilst the bonnet will be up.

Could well be that too, only problem with leaving cars sat around is that these sort of things tend to happen, leave the handbrake off and get some lithium grease sprayed on the handbrake mech on the caliper to keep it operating.

Yeah, it doesn't like abs, but engine wise it's fine.

Tom, if your using a usb to serial converter that might be the problem, I tried 2 different ones before mine would work properly.

Dave