Sign in to follow this  
nickycooke

will a mk3 gti engine fit in my corrado 1.8 16v?

bought a green 90 1.8 16valver about a month ago,got it serviced like a good boy then about 300 miles later it run a big end.long story short,i have bought a mk3 gti engine from a 93 golf and would like to know if it goes in.cheers

8 or 16v engine?

If it's a 16v, then it's probably an abf and may be too tall to fit in the corrado with the standard inlet manifold, but you could fit a turbo and use a short runner inlet, and it would clear nicely...

8 or 16v engine?

If it's a 16v, then it's probably an abf and may be too tall to fit in the corrado with the standard inlet manifold, but you could fit a turbo and use a short runner inlet, and it would clear nicely...

its a 16v,my mechanic said about changing the manifold and injection system from the kr.read the steering rack could be a problem???

To be honest I'd consider keeping the ABF injection system and manifold, just means that you can fiddle with the ECU to get more power. The only thing you may need to do is get a late bonnet which is humped (primarily to clear th VR engine) like this ___/

To be honest I'd consider keeping the ABF injection system and manifold, just means that you can fiddle with the ECU to get more power. The only thing you may need to do is get a late bonnet which is humped (primarily to clear th VR engine) like this ___/

engine is fitted with kr manifold and injection at the moment,just got it back 2day.seems to run ok,heat goes up higher than usual when sitting in traffic but apart from that its running well.so i now have the manifold and injection system from the abf engine and kr cylinder head available if anyone is interested

The ABF will fit in no probs, (It's only 10mm higher not 18) Don't see how K-jet will make more power than the ABF Ecu set-up as an ABF has 150bhp std! Drop in KR cams and a remap and it's an easy 165-170bhp!

I'd say keep the k-jet and use it on the ABF block and head with the KR inlet manifold, ABF fuel system will make better mid range (slightly) and can be re-mapped but that's not going to be cheap will involve all sorts of messing about with looms etc and a 2L with a KR system should get you around 160bhp with nothing more than tweaking up the warm up regulator anyway.

No point in using KR cams over the ABF head ones, they're slightly higher lift but shorter duration on the ABF to suit emissions better, KR ones give basically the same power.

Edit: apparently ABF inlets are higher lift and duration, the best cams of all the VW ones for a 16v.

lots to think about guys,the advice is much appreciated.still using the original 1800 gearbox.was gonna take it to star performance along the road from me and get it on the rollers sometime soon

I'd say keep the k-jet and use it on the ABF block and head with the KR inlet manifold, ABF fuel system will make better mid range (slightly) and can be re-mapped but that's not going to be cheap will involve all sorts of messing about with looms etc and a 2L with a KR system should get you around 160bhp with nothing more than tweaking up the warm up regulator anyway.

No point in using KR cams over the ABF head ones, they're slightly higher lift but shorter duration on the ABF to suit emissions better, KR ones give basically the same power.

Edit: apparently ABF inlets are higher lift and duration, the best cams of all the VW ones for a 16v.

What are you on about???? ABF cams have no valve overlap so that unburnt fuel dunt go down the CAT and knack it! The ABF make better midrange 'cos it's a 2litre, nowt to do with the std cams! Replace the cams with KR ones to creat valve overlap, more duration and better power! "The ones for a 16v" as you put it are KR cams!

I have done this conversion on my last MK2 Golf so know what I'm on about! The ABF loom and ECU need are not complex to get working! The ECU is transpondered so you will need the key and the reader ring that sits round the ignition barrel of the donor car to get it to work! The Loom need minimal work to get it to fit! It cost me £50 to get the loom I used modified to fit my MK2! Had to use MK3 clocks to get the speedo to work but in a C it already has electronic speedo drive (Unless it's an early valver) so you shouldn't need to change your clocks!

I'd go with the ABF loom and Ecu as its easier to tune for more power and with the KR cams installed it'll go like fook :)

What are you on about???? ABF cams have no valve overlap so that unburnt fuel dunt go down the CAT and knack it! The ABF make better midrange 'cos it's a 2litre, nowt to do with the std cams! Replace the cams with KR ones to creat valve overlap, more duration and better power! "The ones for a 16v" as you put it are KR cams!

Perhaps you should re-read the above postings, I'm talking about the relative merits of fitting the EFI from a mk3 16v as opposed to leaving the K-jet in place, the guy has a KR 1.8 and a 2L block to go in, I'm not comparing torque from a 1.8 to a 2L, but the pros/cons of fitting the EFI from a mk3 16v rather than just leaving the K-jet in place on the 2L.

And I'm reliably informed the ABF inlet does have more lift and duration than a KR inlet cam, so there's no point in swapping.

You would be creating quite a bit more work by fitting all the loom etc. from an ABF though, and when you add to that the cost of re-mapping, it just doesn't seem worth it to me when the K-jet system is so simple and already in the car, drop it in and go, advance the dizzy a degree or two and adjust the warm up regulator screw a tiny amount and you're away.

And I'm reliably informed the ABF inlet does have more lift and duration than a KR inlet cam, so there's no point in swapping.

Well Whoever told you that is telling porkies :) Most peeps with an ABF conversion fit the KR cams as it gives a good power increase over the ABF ones as I'm speaking from experience of doing it myself!