Butterfly

Butterflys Blackberry... car of the 90's

In all fairness we really didnt think it would be so hard to remove so a lesson learnt there, i did leave the old outer sleeve in for the bushes though so they were easy to remove via cutting (etc)

Not really sure if masking would work though due to the heat generated when applying the finish so probably best to leave some old bolts or nuts in the threads as you suggest. :wink:

Ask about Mocaps. (trade name for the stuff we use)

These are rubber bungs or varing size which can be shoved into the holes and prevent the Powder/ Nylon powder fouling up the threads. It also comes in handy tape for for masking of machined faces, and is designed to withstand the 180 degree bake temperature.

Its a bit pricey but worth it. I think the tape is bout 30-40 quid a roll.

When I did my inlet and rocker cover I used loads.

In all fairness we really didnt think it would be so hard to remove so a lesson learnt there, i did leave the old outer sleeve in for the bushes though so they were easy to remove via cutting (etc)

Not really sure if masking would work though due to the heat generated when applying the finish so probably best to leave some old bolts or nuts in the threads as you suggest. :wink:

3M and other companies do high temp masking tapes that go up to many 100's of centigrade, we use it on Rolls Royce engine cases that we paint.

Ian.

Hi Judith,

Just read the last 10 pages of this great build thread, awesome!

Good timing for me on you getting some new wishbones. I've just picked up a pair of freshly powdercoated ones, not as posh as yours! I can't go getting them nylon coated straight away. What bushes etc are you going for? I'm thinking R32 and changing the rest of the rubber stuff in that area at the same time.

Cheers, Matt.

I'm going for what ever DG recomend!! But yes R32 rear bushes and just standard VW inner - or front or what ever you call them as I'm expecting the originals to have suffered from the coating / baking.

Thanks everyone for the info on heat resistant bungs / tape etc. It's not something I knew about, or Kip by the sound of it, as I've never been into this blasting / coating lark before.

That Mr Kippaxs comment in July 2005 has a lot to answer for.

J11 has been to her second home the last 2 days.

As is the norm, many thanks to D & G for all their work and attention to detail and putting up with me and my buckets full of cleaning stuff.

Pics of new subframe etc to follow soon but I'm too tired tonight after a 4 hour 100 miles trip home in pouring rain and heavy heavy traffic.

But I'll load this pic as I do think it is beautiful :)

Kip, are you paying for this by anychance aha

No offence mate but why would someone else be paying for the work being done on my car??

Now, Kip doing work on my car (and me not paying him) is another matter but any DG bill I run up is all of my own doing and my resposibility to pay :nuts:

Morning.

Still aching. I think I spent 3 or 4 hours doing crunchies under the car on Thursday!

Anyway, a few pics of the process.

Looks amazing Jude, not much left to do now. :salute: You will have to start thinking about the next project soon! Have you got room for a G60 in your stable to complete the collection :lol:

Cheers.

G60.. no way. too high maintenance and anyway, I've still got enough to do with this one.

No expense spared.... not quite, I didn't go as far as new trackrods or doing obsessive stuff with the hub carriers. And I put new top mounts and bearings in 3 years ago and decided there was no need to replace those :grin: (though the drop links were replaced again so they will be up for sale as 3 year / 5k mile second hands soon)

Oh, and I meant to say. Graham took her for a test drive and said handling was very nice. Dave had a go and agreed.

I didn't drive it until I was setting off home but I immediately knew what they meant. It didn't take me long to get used to it being that way though.

Cheers.

G60.. no way. too high maintenance and anyway, I've still got enough to do with this one.

You literally need to service the charger. And that's the only difference in terms of maintenance beyond what you would do with any other Corrado! :)

Stop the encouraging will ya! Lol! I certainly cant afford another and I think jude is happy with just one toy.

Gotta admit to being a lot jealous though.

I need a lottery win to keep up :-D

Gotta admit to being a lot jealous though.

I need a lottery win to keep up :-D

Ah but you know a lot of the work is thanks to you :luvlove:

And here's a slightly different pic as it's not something that will ever be seen by a judge but I'm told from what can be seen it's looking good.

Wow Judith, that is impressive. And NO oil leaks - i'm so jealous. See mine underneath, looks shiny too,............but shiny with oil!!!

Nice, lovin' how fresh it all looks underneath! Did u have new mounts as well?

EDIT: Yes, I can see that u did! :lol: May I ask which u went for? Am currently obtaining bits for the same and was wondering about which mounts to get...Did u go all OEM?

Looking really good Judith, I take it it's just for sunny day driving now!!

Who's is tidier now then, yours or Kips ?!!