Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Dyno of heat wrapping for a manifold??

Has anyone actually done a dyno run on before and after wrapping a 4 (or even 6 branch) manifold?? To me it makes perfect sense that a hotter exhaust keeps the gasses moving faster, but looking with the search has produced lots of "it will be better, but I'd be interested to see when you've dyno'd" types of responses. Basically keen to know before I fit one, it strikes me that they'll be a darn site easier to wrap before putting on the car. Thanx folks.

it is worth it just to keep engine bay temps down alone,and it does scavvenge a minute ammount of pwer but barely recordable.

Just dont wrap cast iron or cheap stainless as they have been known to crack under the new found extreme heat!

Waste of time mate! As already said, the gains on paper are small and the hotter engines get doing dyno pulls, the more power they lose anyway, so the results would inconclusive.

Yep, considerably easier and better to lag the manifold off the car!! I recommend jubilee clips to retain it too, rather than the horrid stainless straps.

Yep, heat helps the exhaust scavenging effect. Well, scavenging is an often over used phrase as most of the actual "pulling" of spent gases out of the cylinders is in the exhaust design itself with correct back pressure etc etc, but the hotter the exhaust gases are, the faster they move, basically ;-)

Cool, cheers guys. Looks like it's more of a "keeps under bonnet temperatures down a bit" thing to do then, rather than "huge power differences" related. Quite like the idea of ceramic coating that I've seen to keep temps down as well. Would occupy less space than the wrap as well.

Ceramic coating still gives off searing heat as it's not as good at "insulating" as lagging. So lagging is therefore better for reducing under bonnet temps.

Lagging / ceramics is more noticable over the winter months because tubular manifolds lose heat very quickly.

OK then Kev, looks like lagging it is then. I see you used Cooltek stuff in he past. Do you rate them well, if so I may as well go with that?? Also do I need to paint/seal the lagging afterwards to make it act less like wick and stop it soaking up water or oil?

OK then Kev, looks like lagging it is then. I see you used Cooltek stuff in he past. Do you rate them well, if so I may as well go with that?? Also do I need to paint/seal the lagging afterwards to make it act less like wick and stop it soaking up water or oil?

No Cooltek is cheap rubbish stuff. Try and get Thermosleeve.

I wouldn't worry about the lagging acting as a wick, although that is a good point! Unless oil is constantly dripping onto it, it's not a problem. Residual water and oil just burns off without igniting usually.

Found Thermotec wrap - is that the one you're refering to?? Can't find thermosleeve :(

Cool, cheers Kev. Looks like Termo Tec make Thermo sleeve (it's one part of their range).

Just a quick note to say I've got some ThermoTec Copper Gen II wrap for a pretty good price from a company called Pyscho Bikes - 01544 319164

I got a 2" by 50 foot roll for £40 delivered, which seems to be way cheaper than I've found anywhere else (usually around £55-60 including postage).

Just a quick note to say I've got some ThermoTec Copper Gen II wrap for a pretty good price from a company called Pyscho Bikes - 01544 319164

I got a 2" by 50 foot roll for £40 delivered, which seems to be way cheaper than I've found anywhere else (usually around £55-60 including postage).

Thats what i used on mine. I also sprayed mine with high temp paint to seal the wrap which also stops the wrap from absorbing oil like you mentioned in a previous post.