Sign in to follow this  
lukeage

double-6s and other alfa peeps

Whats your thoughts on the 156 (2.5 V6 24v with Q-System)

Mate has offered me his a quite a nice price (from what I have seen it has all the extras and a recent cam belt change / full service hist).

How is the Q-System (trouble?).

Cheers,

Luke

I know the 2.5 V6 had the option of a slightly oddball automatic transmission that was a conventional auto but with a weird selector arrangement, that IIRC was like a normal manual gate - from memory this was branded as the Q system, some people think its a 4 wheel drive system but Q4 was never offered in the UK on the 156 (it was on the 155 to special order in LHD and that used the Delta Integrale drivetrain and the 159 is offered with a bespoke Q4 system).

I know the 2.5 V6 had the option of a slightly oddball automatic transmission that was a conventional auto but with a weird selector arrangement, that IIRC was like a normal manual gate - from memory this was branded as the Q system, some people think its a 4 wheel drive system but Q4 was never offered in the UK on the 156 (it was on the 155 to special order in LHD and that used the Delta Integrale drivetrain and the 159 is offered with a bespoke Q4 system).

That's it - Auto which can switch to manual. - its definitely a UK model (RHD).

I have now spent most of the day looking into whats around on the interweb. I am amazed at how cheap you can pick up a GTV 24v 3.0 V6. 60-80k from 3 to 4 grand :shock:

To be honest I think I prefer the GTV over this particular 156. I am going to look at one on Saturday :)

I have now gone VR6 to coupe 20vt back to VR6 and now seriously starting to lust over a GTV.

I think the Alfa itch needs to be scratched at least once in a lifetime - I did it twice, cost me fortunes both times but still glad I did it :lol:

Oi Oi :)

Personally mate I would avoid any of the fancy gearbox efforts. I've never tried one but i've heard a few things on the forums. And in general i prefer a proper stick shift to any other type of transmission. It's all about control for me.

It's a good day for your thread dude - i've always not really liked the 'normal' 156s. But today i've been running around in a 1.9 TD 156 courtesy car (there's a clue about alfa reliabilty in this sentance!) and I have to say it was really nice. I'm shocked. I liked a bleedin diesel car! It was good to feel the chassis without the GTAs harder spring and damper set up. Really nicely balanced,and very comfortable compared to mine. Very refined engine, especially so at motorway speeds. Pretty quick and absolutely stonking pick-up at 2000 revs.

Sorry, way off topic here. This isn't a general 'I love alfas' thread! :)

My Bro,had a 156 2.5 V6 for a while too. Really nice car. But i'd avoid the wierd gearbox mate.

Now then, GTV? Now you're talking! I was reading about a 3.4 litre twin turbo example yesterday! :shock: I do like the GTV - really good looking car, but fek all use to me with no seats for the off-spring. They feel a touch 'baggier' than mine, a bit more like the Rado chassis. Really good fun to drive, especially with the 3.0/3.2 engines. And like you say, really cheap now.

Or what about a 3.0 V6 Alfa 75? Rear wheel drive fun for a few hundred quid! I fancy one for stripping out and ragging on track. Saw one for 150 quid the other day! :)

Do it mate. Get a GTV!!

Wow thanks for all the info guys. I am also not to sure about the Q-system from what I have read and talking to my mate it's not known for causing issues, but I can imagine its quite nasty if it does start to play up. I can live without. I think the only time an Auto is handy is when your stuck on M25 and find yourself changing between first and second for over two hours.

So I am off to see a GTV tomorrow morning. Its actually from a dealer (I normally always buy private, but this looks ok from initial impression) - it's 3.5k and has covered 60k. 60k means the first thing I am going to check out is if the cam belt and clutch has been seen to (as this will cost me over 600 notes if I put it in a Garage). So that may give me some leverage over the price. I am also not to sure about the red leather (I had my heart set on an ink black with black leather). I will see how I feel when I see it in the flesh.

Let me know what you think guys and any dealing with dealer tips will help untold!

Massive URL shortened, just like they like em

Oh - I joined the Alfa owners forum and theres a guy on there with a corrado 24v called Stan 24v, I am sure that sounds familiar ;)

I bought my GTA from a dealer mate - they have done about 1k worth of work free of charge, out of good faith, without touching the warranty which is up to the amount i paid for the car! Should cover about 3 engines i reckon ;)

Now thats service, and thats how to buy an Alfa. Sod buying privately! :)

ooh thats a tasty car mate.

I wanted a black one, but after a couple of years of cleaning a bleedin black corrado every few days i just couldn't be bothered!

And i reckon that silver does show the lines of the cars off best.

Thats a lot of car for fek all money dude - buy it! :)

Cheers D6's - your car is quite new though? I am not sure if I would get the same amount of warranty out of a general used dealer.

I do like the silver color I am just not sure about the passion of the seats :)

I agree on black cars as much as they look nice all you need is a 5 minute light shower and you need to get your bucket out again.

Oh - I joined the Alfa owners forum and theres a guy on there with a corrado 24v called Stan 24v, I am sure that sounds familiar ;)

That'd be me then. :D I thought about a GTV myself mate, but that forum put me off them - seriously! Theyre all a bunch of complete wankers on there!! (odd exception of course, William :lol: )

The guy I met tonight with the XK120 has an Alfa 156 V6 which has never had the heads off and doesn't use a drop of oil. Apparently its never left him stranded - not bad for a car with 242,000 miles on the clock.

The guy I met tonight with the XK120 has an Alfa 156 V6 which has never had the heads off and doesn't use a drop of oil. Apparently its never left him stranded - not bad for a car with 242,000 miles on the clock.

I've put 8000 miles on mine already and it's used bugger all oil. I also know of a fella with 120,000 hard miles on a 3.2 GTA engine and it's still sweet as a nut and doesn't use oil! :)