Sign in to follow this  
jayh29

Belts/pulley

Hi guys....the indicated pulley is loose and rattles like hell, any idea which one it is (sorry dont have the bentley book yet) Its on my 91' 1.8 16v

Cheers.

belts.JPG[/attachment:49dfa]

I'd say power steering pump...but from what i remember of mine, that looks different......also the bently manual will be no good for that engine, you need the mk2 golf one

Thats the waterpump pulley. The larger inside pulley ring should be able to slip and rotate without spinning the smaller outer pulley ring, but it shouldn't be rattling!

Cheers guys, had a good look underneath and it looks like its the waterpump, very hard to tell as the powersteering pump is under it. Hmmmmmm looks like a nasty job! think I might take it in for this one!

Jay.

if it's the idler pulley, i.e. the belt that goes up to the alternator, then they are notorious for chattering and rattling, the slip bearing type thing built into them just breaks up.

I've known people spot weld the two halves together with no ill effects.

If the actual water pump drive pulley is making the noise then your pumnp bearings are shot.