Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

DDI Dials and LCD wiring?

Hi

Finally got around to fitting my DDI dials and they are really sweet

I've not hard wired anything in yet but have tried them out to see what they look like and they look just as good as I had hoped.

I've done the reverse red LCD screen thing as well but find it difficult to see the numbers in daylight (which is normal apparently). Has anyone found a way to wire the LCD into the ignition so it is always on when your driving? It's obvious on how to have the whole lot (dials and LCD) lit with ignition but I only want the LCD to be on all the time if it's possible.

I've done a search about this and it came up a couple of times but I didn't find any real clues on how to wire up the LCD though.

Thanks

ST

hi

this wont be any help to you but what were the ddi dials like to fit fancied a set for a while but was worried about them not looking as good as the pictures i have seen if there is any chance of a pic when you have finished i would be gratefull many thanks

paul

Hi Paul

The dials themselves are very easy to fit. I had a lot of problems getting the alloy surrounds to fit nicely, it's a bit awkward to glue them in without making a mess everywhere.

My one piece of advice to anyone fitting these dials is not to remove the original dial face for the fuel/water temp gauge. Just put the new dial over this one, the others are okay to remove. The reason for this is the original fuel/water temp dial actually holds the needles in position with 2 very small holes and the gauges function much better leaving this dial face in place.

The wiring is very easy. The quality is excellent and the first time you turn them on in the dark it's fantastic. I have dimmed them down a lot as they are so bright they light up your face while driving.

I'll see if I can get a picture done soon but have so many other jobs to do this weekend, mainly a new wiper mech after the linkage broke. (this time of year is no fun without wipers)

ST

You've got to cut into the headlight switch wiring, IIRC its the thick yellow/grey striped wire that you need to tap into. As you look at the connector, its one of the wires at the on the first row of the narrower part (if that makes sense). Apologies if the description is a bit off, but I am very, very drunk. :drinking: This works for the dials, so should work for the LCDs????

where did u get ur ddi gauges from mate? been looking through the forums and thought they were discontinued for the g60? thanks Sam

where did u get ur ddi gauges from mate? been looking through the forums and thought they were discontinued for the g60? thanks Sam

Bought mine from a group buy on here ,direct from DDI.

Didn't know anything about the G60 being discontiniued.

Heres a direct link to their website.

http://www.dubdesignindustries.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=69_75_78&osCsid=7e048b5164e25ab7d9e396bb1e63d08e

Hope it's of some help to you.

ST

sorry to hijack but how do you flip the LCD screen?

ive been looking to do this to the clock in my Polo for ages!

i saw a how-to on one of the forums i frequent but cant find it for love nor money now!!

sorry again.

Got this from the DDI site.

How to Install the LCD Films and Filters

First, the cluster must be removed from the car. The plastic cover is removed by

removing the 2 screws on either side. The LCD housing is held on by screws at

the back of the circuit board so the board must be removed to access the screws

from behind. The board is held on by 3 screws at the front and also the harness

clip. Follow the instructions on how to remove the board here,

http://www.corrado-club.ca/mods/LCD.html This shows how to remove the circuit

board and get the LCD housings out.

Once you have removed the LCD housing, you need to remove the LCD glass to

apply the tinted polarizing film to the front of the glass. Carefully peel off the

factory film that is presently in front of the glass. Stick the new film in place. It has

a self-adhesive side, and a non adhesive side. Both sides are covered with a

clear plastic film which can be removed.

The red film replaces the green film. Use 1 or 2 red films depending how dark

you want the red to appear. You may need to trim the red film to fit them in. The

white film stays behind the red film.

The order is: tinted film (on the front of the LCD glass) ???? LCD glass ???? red film

(one or two depending how dark you want the red to be) ???? white opaque film.

LCD screen trouble shooting

Pay close attention to the foam pieces as their orientation is very important.

Label them ie. Top or bottom piece if you need to and use arrows to point which

side faces the glass etc. If the glass and foam pieces are put back the wrong way

or your LCD might not power up or the numbers will appear upside down. If this

happens, you need to take everything apart again to flip it in the right direction.

Notice there is a