Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Mk4 Rears info

Ok, intending on converting my rears soon to Mk4 items so couple of questions for those in the know..

Ive seen a set on a Skoda Fabia that i hope to get today, whats the score with hoses, do i use my existing ones opr the ones that are on there or should i just go with Goodridge items, if so can someone recommend a supplier and what i should be paying for them..

Thanks.....

What I will say Michael is that the pads on MK4 calipers tend to seize up and periodically need to be re-greased on the contact points. I speak from experience as my wife had a '98 MK4 from new which my daughter now has and I actually replaced the rear pads again last week - and guess what - seized up. I have had to re-grease on quite a few occasions over the last 9 years and personally would go for MK3 calipers as you don't have this problem or the handbrake mechanism problem you get with MK2 Golf rear calipers.

Bill

I phoned C and R and asked for a set of MK4 rear caliper conversion hoses for a Corrado. I think they were around £30. You can't use the original hoses because mk4 calipers use different connections.

What I will say Michael is that the pads on MK4 calipers tend to seize up and periodically need to be re-greased on the contact points. I speak from experience as my wife had a '98 MK4 from new which my daughter now has and I actually replaced the rear pads again last week - and guess what - seized up. I have had to re-grease on quite a few occasions over the last 9 years and personally would go for MK3 calipers as you don't have this problem or the handbrake mechanism problem you get with MK2 Golf rear calipers.

Bill

I'm assuming that the callipers on the back of my Leon are the same as mk4 items - what do you mean about the pads seizing? My rear pads have a tendency to squeal and I'm wonderig if that'd have anything to do with it?

I phoned C and R and asked for a set of MK4 rear caliper conversion hoses for a Corrado. I think they were around £30. You can't use the original hoses because mk4 calipers use different connections.

Who is C and R? Was the 30 quid for braided hoses??

you will have to ring them mate, the £53 is for the standard corrado set. but just tell them what your doing. They supply the conversion hose's all the time, so you wont have any trouble.

karl

Bill

I'm assuming that the callipers on the back of my Leon are the same as mk4 items - what do you mean about the pads seizing? My rear pads have a tendency to squeal and I'm wonderig if that'd have anything to do with it?[/quote:b504e]

Could be Phil. The 4 flat surfaces on the caliper carriers have a flat piece of thin sprung metal which sits on top of the flat surfaces and then the 2 sides of the pad sit on these. As the pads begin to wear down and move across these sprung metal parts, with age etc they just get stuck and won't move in or out.