Sign in to follow this  
dobbo

What gearbox does the 2.0l 16V C use?

The diff bearings in my 2.0l 16V have gone and I think that replacing the whole box will be the easiest thing. I believe that it shares the same box with a golf. But can someone tell me which golf and is the box exactly the same?

I have tried searching for this but didn't come up with a definite answer. Please help! Much appreciated.

there's a number of cable change '02A' boxes that'll work on the 2.016v, the 1.8 corrado box is probably the best (for acceleration) as it's the lowest/closest ratios, but a mk3 golf 16v box or passat 16v box will also be OK. An 8v Corrado or passat box (including G60) will be too long-legged for the 16v engine.

Look in the Wiki for gearbox codes, AGC is the 1.8 16v stamped on a flat nr the shift tower on to pof the box.

Thanks David :D

So, I presume that so long as I get an '02A' box it'll drop in without any problems. Its just that some of them will give me poor performance as all the ratios will be wrong?

Right, I'm off to find a new box!

pretty much, some of the boxes use a different shift tower and cable bracket, but all bits are interchangeable.

1.816v 'AGC' boxes are on 88-91 passat 1.816v GT's and the 2L 16v Corrado box is probably shared with the 2.016v passat.

the mk3 16v box is slightly longer legged than the 2.0 16v Corrado box again.

You would have either an AYK or CGY box and you could use the AGC and CES as well. These were all used in Passat

You would have either an AYK or CGY box and you could use the AGC and CES as well. These were all used in Passat