Sign in to follow this  
bug man

What gearbox?

Hi guys, i need help!! My gearbox on my 91 rado g60 is well and truly nackered! I dont know wether to risk fitting another g60 box or to go with a golf diesel? Ive read the posts on gear ratios but it seems like gobblydy gook to me lol! The car is totaly standard power wise so whats my best option? :?

Hi guys, i need help!! My gearbox on my 91 rado g60 is well and truly nackered! I dont know wether to risk fitting another g60 box or to go with a golf diesel? Ive read the posts on gear ratios but it seems like gobblydy gook to me lol! The car is totaly standard power wise so whats my best option? :?

Probably standard box but if you can live with slightly less accerleration across the rev range on a standard car then the diesel box more be more economical and you can hit 60 without changing out of 2nd.

cheers mate, what sort of top speed would i be looking at with a diesel box then? Maybe higher gearing will stop the wheelspin then?

cheers mate, what sort of top speed would i be looking at with a diesel box then? Maybe higher gearing will stop the wheelspin then?

Yes that and to hit 60 in 2nd are the benefits and the reasons CTWG60 explored the different code gearboxes

Will a diesel gearbox be compatable with a vr6 clutch? any help plz guys!

VR6 clutch will work with Diesel gearbox but Diesel gearbox will not work with VR6 engine and VR6 Clutch IIRC. The ABV engine code VR clutch is the correctly splined one for the CTN Gearbox.

cheers mate, what sort of top speed would i be looking at with a diesel box then?

You'll hit 135mph in 4th gear on private roads but I don't think you'll be able to do much in 5th above this, you may not even be able to maintain this speed in 5th but then you would not be able maintain your license either. :lol:

I personally would only fit a CTN box to a standard car if I was going to make changes to the engine at a later stage.

would you recomend i fit the vr clutch then or just stick to the g60 one? Basically ctn box gives you an overdrive then? 135 in 4th will do me fine! but is the acceleration difference massive?

would you recomend i fit the vr clutch then or just stick to the g60 one? Basically ctn box gives you an overdrive then? 135 in 4th will do me fine! but is the acceleration difference massive?

If your current clutch is good and not slipping then I'd leave it but then for £80ish you can be sure you won't have to revisit it for a long time and you can be sure your not going to get clutch slip instead of wheelspin. As for acceleration you'll probably get more traction in 1 and 2 but it won't feel quicker IMHO 3rd is taller so your car will feel slower 4th is somewhere between your current 4th and 5th so again it will be slower 5th is much taller and will as you say only be for higher speed cruising and not for acceleration below 45ish.

Give it a try, it's really the only way to see if it suits you and your driving style. If you don't like it I'm sure someone on here will take the CTN box off of your hands.