Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

can you drive on a 'gone' headgasket?

i got a shitty run around to get to work and back which seriously takes about 3 minutes to get there (yes i could walk but im too lazy).

The head gasket has gone (mayo under oil cap).

what happens if i keep driving it until i can get the head gasket done.

Get off your ass dude!

If the headgasket is going / gone you run the risk of it properly blowing and overheating, and potentially damaging the engine!

IF it's gone, then you don't want to drive it any more than is absolutely necessary. You don't really wanna warp the head or crack the block because a hotspot builds up..

Guessing it's not the VR then, if it's just a cheap run around is it worth the investment, are you planning to keep it or just run it into the ground? And as you say it's hardly like you need it for work is it.

Guessing it's not the VR then, if it's just a cheap run around is it worth the investment, are you planning to keep it or just run it into the ground? And as you say it's hardly like you need it for work is it.

yeah its not the VR, its the cheap run around, mk3 polo 1.3. which has ended up costing alot of money to get it through MOT etc. i think i might do the head gasket, just the effort and time to do it, just a pain in the arse.

have you got mayo in the oil and water or just under the oil cap? is it over heating? as it maybe just a split/blocked oil breather on the camcover