Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

Anyone an expert on coolant additive

Does anyone know a lot about this?, I was having a chat with someone at the weekend who had been reading an article about coolant additives that manufacturers use/specify.

Apparently this was a test of the chemical makeup of them, including all the latest purple, reds and blue coloured ones.

The results were basically that they are all the same apart from different colour dye, and it's a ploy by manufacturers to tie maintenance to franchised dealerships (another one).

Apparently the anti-freeze properties can be good years and years after first using in an engine, but after about four virtually all of the anti-corrosion additives are ineffective.

Would be interested if anyone else has any more info on this, like precisely why should I use the latest VW G12+ or whatever it is, over the standard blue stuff I've used for years (which is suitable for alloy components anyway).

The old blue stuff caused corrosion pitting on VR6 and other heads.....hence the switch to G12.....but obviously your mate knows better because he read an article saying all coolants contain Glycol. Everyone knows that. Everyone also knows you're supposed to refresh coolant every 2 years.

Just sounds to me like you're being a cheap skate.

The antifreeze element wont go off but it will de diluted by top ups.

If anything modern environmentally safe anti-freeze/summer coolant is not as effective as the much older stuff due to disposal requirements.

However, as Kev says it is still worth changing every 2 years even if you only look on it as an opportunity to flush the gunk out of the bottom of you heater matrix etc.

Yeah, sealed for life but VW expect it to be flushed every 4 or so when waterpumps are changed - more so on the newer cars...

The new stuff, G12++ is just for the alloy blocks... so G12+ for us!

OK, been reading up a bit more on this,

seems like there's a whole range of reasons why VW and other manufacturers have switched from the old Ethylene glycol based anti-freeze. Ranging from general improvements in chemical technology to environmental legislation.

VW apparently do claim that G12+ provides better cooling and corrosion protection than earlier specs (from their own technical service bulletins), and from reading from a whole bunch of sources (plus you guys) it seems that the real issue with the older stuff, particularly in older engines, is the lack of protection from infrequent changes and wrong strengths, not to say that G12+ shouldn't be used in the correct strength.

This is part of the reason why I asked my original question, because with regular changes and the correct strength, plus distilled water I've not experienced any significant corrosion on my engines over years and many miles, all 4cyl though.

It's good to know G12+ is fine in older engines, even those run for years on G11(or similar). I don't think the odd reference to gasket problems from switching are that credible.

Another reason I was interested is my mk4 still has the original G12 in it (no scheduled change interval listed) which is as clear and pink as it was when the car was new, but I guess a refill with G12+ is overdue.

I would suspect that the only reason that gasket failure seems to occur post coolant flush is that the gunk has been shifted from around seals/gaskets during the flushing process that was acting as a seal - as such it then starts leaking.

I do think that a good quality water source is as essential as the quality/type of coolant in use, after all you only need to look at the inside of your kettle to see what a mess most of the water in the country makes when it gets up near boiling!