Sign in to follow this  
madmansi

Help! whats the best size tyre for 16x7.5 on a C VR6?

Hi all

I've had a look at online tyre calculators, but my local tyre garage/fitters recomends a 225/50, but I'm really not sure about this as it sounds too tall.

Currently I'm running 205/45's but they are way too stretched and ride really bad, would a 225/45 give any better 'cushion'?

Any opinions really appreceiated -getting them fitted 2mrw morn as currents are highly illegal!

(Wheels are 16x7.5's)

Cheers

Si

Ahh, should have read the previous post before posting, BUT current tyres are the recomended (for 16's) 205/45's and these are just way too stretched and ruin the handling. How does the wider than standard rim effect things? (mine being 7.5 wide)

Mine are 16x7.5 on 205/40/16's, and there is no stretch, there's still plenty of sidewall too. You positive the rims are 7.5j?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions, had a chat with the tyre place and did a bit more research using the very useful marksink.com link and have decided to try a 225/40/16 -this should work out bang on to the outer diameter of the original 205/50/15's (also v close to 205/45/16) and fill the wheel nicely.

Side walls should be less stressed than the existing stretched items so should ride a bit better and have more grip being that little bit wider.

Cheers

Si

Quick update; 225/40/16's on a 16x7.5 rim work really well, car is a lot smoother and once they're bedded in should give even more grip!

Went for Falken 512's in the end, now need to sort out new wishbone bushes and do a full service on her!

cool sounds like a good result :)

got any pics and how much were they?

is the car lowered and have you had any rubbing? need to get a set of tyres for my 16x7.5 borbets at some point.

i dont understand how a 205 is streched on a 7.5? you sure they aint 9's lol, reason being that 7.5" is 190mm which would mean that the tyre being 205mm should be wider across the tread than the wheel is *confused*