Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

So Many Nice Cars

Just got back off my lunch break and in the course of my travels I saw a black F430 Spyder, a TVR, an M6, the most jaw droppingly beautiful A5 Coupe (I think?, are they the really smart two door ones?) I've ever seen (want one anyway), and about 4 Porsches. That's in about a ten minute walk down the road. It may just be me but not so long ago I remember just about never seeing a porsche even. Now they're everywhere. Not amazingly interesting but it just crossed my mind. I guess people these days just have more money to spend on cars.

Yeah whenever I see a really nice car like a TVR I always wonder what the guy/woman driving it does for a living to be able to afford to buy and run it!! I don't earn a bad wage, although I'm by no means loaded, and I'm *always* skint!

I'm the same - though to be honest I often look at some of the things / mods some folks are doing to their cars on here and I don't understand where i'm going wrong. I too earn a good wage, I share a flat with a mate (to keep costs down), I hardly have any debts yet I struggle to afford to fix my car when it breaks let alone do anything silly like take a holiday!

I don't get it sometimes!

Yeah whenever I see a really nice car like a TVR I always wonder what the guy/woman driving it does for a living to be able to afford to buy and run it!! I don't earn a bad wage, although I'm by no means loaded, and I'm *always* skint!

me too, I like to think when I see a young punk/girl in a brand new Golf GTi/Audi TT/BMW that they still owes the bank man 85% of the car or they're part of the silver spoon brigade and 'oh thank you Daddy'.

However, when I see an expensive car I like ie Porsche / R32 / RS6 I always assume the driver worked their butts off and really deserve it :?

that said, even If i had a garage full of my dream cars, there'd be VR in pride of place for sure :D

that said, even If i had a garage full of my dream cars, there'd be VR in pride of place for sure :D

Yep, even with an R8, an F430, and a Lambo I'd still have to have a Rado as well.

its all about the never never..

no one buys cars outright these days, youd be mad to.

if you can afford £500-800 per month - which a lot of people can, you could get your hand on something decent..

its all about the never never..

no one buys cars outright these days, youd be mad to.

if you can afford £500-800 per month - which a lot of people can, you could get your hand on something decent..

I bought my 993 outright..........then again in 2years of ownership its doubtful if I've lost even £2k the way 993 prices are at the moment :D

It's not even so much about buying the car. For me it's the thought of having to pay rediculous running costs for anything interesting.

I tend to think of Cars as an monthly outlay like anything else, if you look at the whole price most would be put off buying. But most personal contract hires are best looked at as a monthly payment and near on all dealers guarantee a residual value so you can trade it in after three years or pay the outstanding loan. Working this way is nice as you get a new car every two to three years.

I recently had to weigh buying against leasing or getting a 5 year + low miler. I went for a lease in the end as my life plans are up in there air at the moment. Now I have a nice Alfa on the way for one year for 300 a month, I only need to cover insurance and fuel.

Its one of the things that appeals to me about going back to working at a Volkswagen dealership - been offered a job as a General Sales Manager at a big site with 12 sales execs - one of the big plus points is that I will get a damned good car with no tax to pay (technically all cars as classed as pool cars) - the position means a Touareg, R32, R36, GTi, Eos etc - tbh I'd be very happy with a GTi

Its one of the things that appeals to me about going back to working at a Volkswagen dealership - been offered a job as a General Sales Manager at a big site with 12 sales execs - one of the big plus points is that I will get a damned good car for with no tax to pay (technically all cars as classed as pool cars) - the position means a Touareg, R32, R36, GTi, Eos etc - tbh I'd be very happy with a GTi

Nice one mate! That sounds awesome. Do you think you'll go for it?

Edit: I have an interview myself with a rather large car manufacturer next Thursday. Not saying too much in case I jinx it but lets just say if I get it I'll be made up. :D

I'm seriously tempted - means giving up weekends to work again but the package in terms of earnings is superb and as a consultant for a good few years I'm starting to wonder if all I can do is talk about what to do as opposed to being able to actually do it - I feel the need to prove to myself that I can do more than just talk the talk :lol:

I'm seriously tempted - means giving up weekends to work again but the package in terms of earnings is superb and as a consultant for a good few years I'm starting to wonder if all I can do is talk about what to do as opposed to being able to actually do it - I feel the need to prove to myself that I can do more than just talk the talk :lol:

Imagine an R36 as company car though. :shock: And being in charge of 12 execs. It's gotta be a really good opportunity for you.

[quote="Sonicriot13"

Edit: I have an interview myself with a rather large car manufacturer next Thursday. Not saying too much in case I jinx it but lets just say if I get it I'll be made up. :D

Best of lick for that then fella! :?

Good luck SonicRiot!

Things we do to pay the bills eh! We should have another thread "what do you do to pay for your 'Rado???" :D

Cheers guys! :D I am trying not to get too excited about it cos I reckon it's gonna be really hard to get. The interview is in the form of an assessment day, whatever that is, so there's gonna be loads of other people there. They've hired the old Suffolk Show ground for it so reckon it's a big deal. :shock: But I can't help thinking just how good it would feel to hand my notice in and leave this God awful insurance company.

Things we do to pay the bills eh! We should have another thread "what do you do to pay for your 'Rado???" :D

Or "what would you resort to doing to pay for your Rado if you had to"! :lol:

I am trying not to get too excited about it cos I reckon it's gonna be really hard to get. The interview is in the form of an assessment day, whatever that is, so there's gonna be loads of other people there.

I've run loads of assessment days - best way to recruit into most jobs, puts people in real life situations, allows you to see how people interact with other people etc etc

People start getting kicked out after the first hours, those that are left at the end of the day are generally offered a job. Some of the assessment centres I have run have only lasted three / four hours if there are no quality people there, others have gone on for eight / nine hours and resulted in 2 or 3 people being offered jobs.

I am trying not to get too excited about it cos I reckon it's gonna be really hard to get. The interview is in the form of an assessment day, whatever that is, so there's gonna be loads of other people there.

I've run loads of assessment days - best way to recruit into most jobs, puts people in real life situations, allows you to see how people interact with other people etc etc

People start getting kicked out after the first hours, those that are left at the end of the day are generally offered a job. Some of the assessment centres I have run have only lasted three / four hours if there are no quality people there, others have gone on for eight / nine hours and resulted in 2 or 3 people being offered jobs.

It does sound like fun. And a bit different from just sitting in a room for an hour talking about yourself. My only worry is getting eliminated early over something silly and then not really having a chance to prove myself. But I guess it's all down to me really.

It does sound like fun. And a bit different from just sitting in a room for an hour talking about yourself. My only worry is getting eliminated early over something silly and then not really having a chance to prove myself. But I guess it's all down to me really.

Assessment days are so far from fun it's erm, not funny. I attended one recently and was stressed to the gunnels, I did pass the selection day however. Most companies will send you examples similar to that which you will be expected to overcome on the day in advance, all I can say is study the material hard, this will instill confidence and it really clicks in on the day if you have put in the ground work. I too worried about being eliminated early without proving myself, but you just have to accept it and make sure you're as prepared as you can possibly be. Good luck.

Assessment days are so far from fun it's erm, not funny. I attended one recently and was stressed to the gunnels, I did pass the selection day however. Most companies will send you examples similar to that which you will be expected to overcome on the day in advance, all I can say is study the material hard, this will instill confidence and it really clicks in on the day if you have put in the ground work. I too worried about being eliminated early without proving myself, but you just have to accept it and make sure you're as prepared as you can possibly be. Good luck.

Thanks for that mate! :D They haven't sent me any details at all yet about what they are expecting us to do. I'm just working on the basis that there is nothing they could reasonably throw at me that's any worse than some of the sh*t I have to deal with on a daily basis in my current job. And as for customer service I've been doing that my entire working life so if I can't get that right by now I don't deserve the job. I'm looking forward to it. It'll be good experience if nothing else. And if I don't get it I'll be more prepared for the next one.

Did you find out at the end of the day that you got the job or do they invite you back for more interviews afterwards?

Sorry it's not entirely car related, but it is in a way.......

But just to add to the whole interview theme, I had my first interview in over 6 months today (have applied for loads but never even got acknowledgement....). It was pretty daunting, but the position will be a technical role for which I am reasonable well-versed in but would still have to do a training programme of 2 months (in Houston, Texas I might add) just to get started, IF I got offered the position. The starting salary is NOT great, however, the oppurtunities for the future if I got offered the postion and got the job would be limiled only by my own abilities, drive and desire for success. The potential for high earnings within 1-2 yrears are great and the role would involve working for one of the most important and biggest economically / market share in the industry, worldwide.

I had prepared reasonably well I thought, having learned a bit about the company, what the role involves and what would be expected of me etc. I answered the questions well, I hope, and asked pertinent ones too. I also had to sit a MATHS test (which is standard practice for the role apparently, however, I was not informed of this prior to attending the interview), which I am glad that I passed (not like 2+2 = 4 questions I might add, but things you actually had to manipulate and work out etc.), even though the pass mark was 80% !

I was also told that, if I was succesful I would hear by the end of next week, but probably sooner. I was also told that the actual training, if I was to get offered the job and accept it / have references accepted / pass medical and screens etc., starts on the 21st January 2008 ! Also, that there is only 5 trainee positions, possibly 6 available, and that there was over 140 applicants for the positions and 25 interviewed........!

After those last details I got told, I'm not sure how I feel now after all this today, but here's hoping, as I really need some good luck in my life at the moment....then I might actually be able to get the rado finished and possibly sold on after a while and trade up to something else, however, I will still always have my B19 VWC registration on retention when I get another rado in the future, should I decide to sell !

Hope you two both also get offered /accept the jobs etc guys,

Cheers

..Did you find out at the end of the day that you got the job or do they invite you back for more interviews afterwards?

Yeah, they invited me to a face to face interview next then medical and it's now at the referee stage, hope to hear this week.