Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

"Interesting" beep when putting foot down

Here's an odd one, you clever chaps:

G60 runs a treat, no worries, but I've noticed when I give it some beans, there's a sudden high-pitched "beeeeeeeep" comes from the engine bay. My first thought was oil buzzer but there's loads of oil in it and the light doesn't come on. It's not related to RPM as I can rev it up nice and high if I'm steady, so it's almost as if it's boost related. Basically when the boost gets up to about 10PSI the beeeeeeep comes on. It's not that loud but you can definitely hear it.

Basically, what is it, should I worry and how can I stop it??? Cheers!

sounds like the warning beep you get if you go round a bend too fast....its an alarm to tell you that your oil isn't where it should be :lol: .......its asking you to take it easy.....either that or it might be faulty

sounds like the warning beep you get if you go round a bend too fast....its an alarm to tell you that your oil isn't where it should be :lol: .......its asking you to take it easy.....either that or it might be faulty

The only time mine does that is if its low on oil, but saying that it has a windage tray fitted as well, and i do go round some corners really fast. Do standardish cars really do that. If it does it often try adding half litre extra to compensate for the high cornering forces, track dayers use this technique.

Does the oil pressure light also flash on the dash to confirm it is the oil pressure warning buzzer?

If so, my guess would be your oil pump is on its way out.

Remember that in a straight line pulling hard can have the same effect as cornering hard with regards to the oil migrating in the sump.

Is it def a beep and not a whoosh, now i have never heard it and cant remember the name of it but on a standard G60 once the pressure reaches 0.7 bar roughly 10psi the valve on the ISV opens to vent excess boost pressure off to prevent overboosting and running lean.

As your on full throttle the 2nd throttle butterfly is closed so no boost pressure is been recirculated back to the charger, hence why you only notice it when giving it some, whilst driving on part throttle and rising the revs slower the 2nd butterfly is open so the boost is half been used and half recirculated and none venting through the ISV valve.

So yes it may be normal if its more this kind of noise and not a beep possibly and why your car runs normal.

Thanks dude,

No it's definitely not a whoosh - my boost return is deleted so it vents unused boost to air. Most definitely a really high pitched "beep" that seems to come from the left of the dash/engine. Oil is up to the line on the dipstick, recently had an oilchange and filter, new rocker cover gasket and oil feed lines to the charger. Doesn't really use any oil at the moment. Could it be a faulty oil pressure sender perhaps??

mine started doing the same about 2 weeks before the oilpump got blocked by a melted baffle plate causing a whole heap of trouble :(

If in any doubt id definatly whip the sump off and check the baffle plate, perhaps even put a new oil pump in, its a really easy job, only two bolts and not really expensive to do.

Really wouldnt mess around with oil pressure on the G60 could be costly

Hmm yeah thanks dude, I think you might have something there. Last time it was in the garage I mentioned it to the mechanic but he said it wasn't doing it, probably because he wasn't booting it hard enough.

I'll drive it steady over xmas then get it back in for a new oil pump and have the baffle checked. Thanks a lot!

theres a guide in the wiki as I said its not at all hard to do, would only take an hour or so with a trolly jack and a few basic tools

Its worth getting stuck in mate. I always applied the same logic to my car in recent years but eventually the bills started to get ridiculous for jobs I knew I could do myself.

I'm still not up to the big stuff but changed my radiator myself a few months ago - once you get going you gain lots of confidence! Just do it! :)

Yeah honestly I am ramping up to the bigger stuff, did quite a lot to my Golf myself, but stuff that could potentially kill the engine if I don't do it right, I dunno - I'd rather pay a professional than risk it! Plus, where do you guys dispose of engine oil?

The local council tip! They usually have an oil disposal section.. or it'll just go into burnable waste or somethin! :)

Oh cool, well that's good to know. Must invest in some decent tools as well, most of my current toolbox I got out of xmas crackers :D

Hi Mate,

I had the oil pump done on mine a while back, its a bugger to get the sump off if you leave the gearbox

on as you need a "wobble extension" to get at the bloody bolts, aside from that its fairly easy :)

The relief valve had jammed closed on mine so when it was cold it kept spitting the oil filter seal out and

pissing oil everywhere :-( god only knows what pressure the oil was under to do that :shock:

Best to put a genuine pump on rather than a pattern part as you know its going to last! And get a windage

tray in there too to hold the oil in place when your giving it beans.

Yeah it'll definitely be VAG parts all the way. Odd that the light in the dash doesn't come on even though the beeper does. Is it possible the light doesn't work, or can they signal independently?

Yeah it'll definitely be VAG parts all the way. Odd that the light in the dash doesn't come on even though the beeper does. Is it possible the light doesn't work, or can they signal independently?

Those lights aren't all that reliable. There's a girl I work with whose car just blew up because there was literally no oil in it and she says the oil light never came on. My girlfriend's brother bought a BMW that had no warning lights on the dash showing but when I checked it there was no oil in that either. Plus if the warining light is functioning properly I think the oil has to be really very low indeed before it comes on anyway, so if it does you're already in trouble. I just check the oil every week (well, at least I did when I had a car), even if I "know" it's going to be ok.

When I had my G60 I belted it on numerous occasions and I never noticed a beep. Mind you, it's hard to hear much over Sepultura and Incubus at 2500000db!

Yeah I check my oil level every weekend religiously (on a Sunday :D) - the car's got loads in it, so unless the oil pump totally fails I guess I should be OK not booting it for a few weeks until I can get it looked at...

Yeah I check my oil level every weekend religiously (on a Sunday :D) - the car's got loads in it, so unless the oil pump totally fails I guess I should be OK not booting it for a few weeks until I can get it looked at...

Best way buddy, if you're not confident with taking the sump off and taking it to pieces best to just take it easy and keep an eye on it until you can get it looked at.

OK an interesting development:

I was sat in traffic stop-start for about an hour tonight on the way home, and when I finally cleared it and could speed up a bit, the oil pressure beeper came on (beep, beep, beep) and the light in the dash flashed for about 6 seconds. So the light works! And this beep was definitely from the binnacle rather than the high squealing/beeping noise I reported at the top of this thread, which seems to come from the engine bay.

I looked up and the car had a new oil pump in 2004, could it be knackered again?

Also, what sort of oil pressure should I be seeing? I've got an oil pressure guage in my center console, when I was sat in traffic it was just above zero, when I'm driving it's usually about 2 - 2.5 bar(?)

OK an interesting development:

I was sat in traffic stop-start for about an hour tonight on the way home, and when I finally cleared it and could speed up a bit, the oil pressure beeper came on (beep, beep, beep) and the light in the dash flashed for about 6 seconds. So the light works! And this beep was definitely from the binnacle rather than the high squealing/beeping noise I reported at the top of this thread, which seems to come from the engine bay.

I looked up and the car had a new oil pump in 2004, could it be knackered again?

Also, what sort of oil pressure should I be seeing? I've got an oil pressure guage in my center console, when I was sat in traffic it was just above zero, when I'm driving it's usually about 2 - 2.5 bar(?)

Just above zero is faaaaar too low! Think you've got some issues with it :(

Edit the Bently says minimum 2 bar at 2000rpm at 80 degrees, and there's another thread on here about G60 oil pressures with some other useful info in. Dub_Nut_G60 started it I believe.

Right, well that's good to know. So it's most likely the oil pump on it's way out, I guess?

Looks like the C's off to car hospital again. :(

Find the other thread and check things, but it could be bearings going in the engine, or an oil leak in the charger too.