Sign in to follow this  
markTTC

Milltek Sports Cat

I think my cat is on it's way out as it's starting to really pong when the car is warming up, and is making some strange rattling noises. I'm thinking about getting a performance cat - has anyone on here got one, and does it make a noticable difference to the power? I'm thinking about £250 - £300 is about the right price for one, or am I way off the mark? :?

Cheers

Mark (2.0 16V, August 1992 :( )

The sulphur smell is normal, especially in the winter when the cold runnin cycle is on for longer. Are you sure the rattle isn't the external heat sheild?

Kev

hey Mark.......i just replaced my CAT.....it totally disintergrated........ i stuck a used one on £75.....seems ok so far.....let me know if you want some contacts.........

Hey Mark,

I've thought about the Milltek CAT myself, (to go with the Milltek exhaust... :mrgreen:) but £250-£300 is a little optomistic I think, it's likely to be closer to be £400+ when all is said and done.

From the research I've done, you won't actually get much/anything in the way of performance increase (you'll get smoother power delivery, but not necessarily any more) without an ECU re-map (another £250), as the standard settings aren't going to be able to take advantage of the increased flow. The 2.0 16V also has mechanical injectors, so it's debatable how much you can do with a re-map anyway...

I've been mulling this one over for some time now... the jury is still out :lol:

When my CAT disintegrated (about a month after fitting the Milltek :mad:) I just got a 'cheap' aftermarket one... still set me back just over £200 though :( babrul, 's idea of a second hand one is good... wish I'd thought of that :lol:

DtM.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I removed the heatshield around the cat a couple of months ago, as it was half hanging off anyway from hitting speed bumps etc. That got rid of a big rattle I had for ages. But now a similar sounding rattle has returned, and it sounds like it's coming from the cat, but can't be too sure as the sound reverberates under the car somewhat. Is there another heatshield somewhere else that could be rattling?

£400 for a sports cat sounds a little steep :shock: , if it does turn out to be the cat that has gone I think I'll just try and get a secondhand one.

Cheers

Mark

£400 for a sports cat sounds a little steep :shock:

Indeed, that is until you see what they make them with! (Aluminum Oxide, rare earth metals, Platinum and Rhodium :shock:)... incidentally, the Milltek bumpf says they're most effective on turbo charged engines...

DtM.

hey Mark.......i just replaced my CAT.....it totally disintergrated........ i stuck a used one on £75.....seems ok so far.....let me know if you want some contacts.........

Glad to hear you got it sorted Baz.. :wink:

cheers Bally..........all i have left is to change the oil temp sensor and tighten the exhaust hangers as its touchin the back axel.............then try and see if i can reach 142mph :D like before..........have not been over 60mph for a long while.....