Sign in to follow this  
G Charged

another victim of crank bolt:(

Yup, she sheared her bolt off on the way back from work, doing 40/50mph in 5th, slammed clutch down ASAP..

shit happens, im not fuming but im little anoyed as i orderd a crank bolt and pulley 2 days ago as advised by Pitstop developments(steve who incidently is a proper sound bloke!!) ..this was after VW telling me its a non listed part 2 weeks ago...got oil cooler, new sump, serviceing bits, sensors and what not lying in the living room, was gona order a FMIC next week :(

took inlet pipes off to see if itd killed the charger(i dont know..just having a look...) annnd theres a only a fine mist of oil, nutin major, gona pop out to my mates where i towed her to and inspect further...

all in all, merry xmas lads and ladesses!

please make sure you reface the end of the crank before refitting otherwise this could happen again im afraid!

Darren,

Whe you say reface do you mean just flat it off removing and edges and burrs or is this something more compilacted?

Hi there, where can i get one of these bolts for my g60? i really dont like the idea of this snapping! :nono:

cheers, sam :x-mas:

is this just a g60 problem

I think the extra load of the G60 causes it, it can happen on diesels that don't have a clutch on the alternator IIRC. As for the mechanics of how it causes the bolt to let go I can't really get my head around the forces involved.

In the middle of building up a new bottom end and am getting a little worried about this happening to it, what's the best thing to do, DX bolt, new type PG bolt, pin the pulley to the crank or just get a ARP bolt? Where do you get an ARP bolt from? I can't find it listed anywhere! I've bought a DX bolt but I'm worried it's not the best or a substantial solution.

As for refacing is this only necessary after failure or advisable on a new build if the crank is out?

I would only see the need to reface after faliure.(Im actually in the process of trying to obtain a tool to be able to do this in situ) We have also used the 1/4" dowel trick with sucess in the past also, I would recomend this if you are unsure about the condition of the crank.

As far as I know there are two problems, One the bolt snaps, or Two it works loose, I had mine work loose and in two mins

it went from fine to not starting because the timing was so far out :-( so yes it happens to late G60's too.

I think this happend on mine because the PO had the engine rebuilt and the re-used the original (one use only stretch bolt)

Once I retapped the crank and replaced with the MK1 DX bolt, washer and a dab of thread lock all was good :D

If you havent changed it or dont know that its been done on your car it would be worth doing next time you change the cam belt!

darryn, is the new pg bolt actualy redesigned?...or is the ARP kit much better...£33 isnt alot if the bolt is better and not a compimise job