Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

Is my rado VR an oilholic???

i changed my oil about 700 miles ago with vw 15 40w stuff, checked the level today and worked out when i topped it up that ive lost just under half a litre in 700 miles! is this good or bad??

many thanks

Chris L

mine gets through quite a lot, isn't very smokey tho and no massive leaks, but i've heard other owners comment about oil consumption, i just check mine every week and always make sure it never runs out.

With the VR6, check the oil the following morning because it takes forever to fall back to the sump.

1500 miles per litre is pretty high, but not horrendous for a 14 year old VR. If it doesn't throw blue smoke out of the exhaust on the over run, I shouldn't worry about it.

my VR's on 108k, when i got her she was on 72K, and me like you , allways toppin up, yup its a lot of oil but where's it gone, LOL, no smoke, not on the drive? who cares.just think of that hair add thing , she's worth it. :lol:

VW say that as a worst case scenario when the engine is new to cover their own backs. It stops anal people ringing up VW and moaning that their engine consumed a thimbleful of oil over 2.68 miles, compared to their friend Burt's Toyota Corolla which uses a thimbleful over 26,800 miles.

A 'good' VR6 uses a litre over 4000 miles.

Average is a litre over 2000 miles

Poor is a litre in 1000 miles or less.

My missus's old Rover 25 1400 was depressingly frugal with oil. It got cheap schitt oil and it used absolutely none of it between 20K services!! Not fair.

ahh i see cheesewire,where did you get those figures from just out of interest? am i using the right oil 10/40w quantum? what do you put in yours? the thing is when i went up and back to leceister in it it didnt use a drop?!!! which was a 500mile round trip. but 3 months of to and from work 12 mile trip a day and over 600 odd miles it uses 400mls hows that??????

is there anything that i can add to the oil to stop consuming less?

cheers for the info

cheesewire

regards

Chris L

Chris ...do you own a white VR, live in North Devon and work at a 4x4 garage?

i would say that looking at he's sig he drives a moonlight blue vr6.

Chris ...do you own a white VR, live in North Devon and work at a 4x4 garage?

i would say that looking at he's sig he drives a moonlight blue vr6.

Yup .....i know that .....now......doh!!

His name rings a bell.