Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Belt 'screech' on cold morning for few seconds?!

Hi all... suspect this is just my alternator belt needing tightening up or something but sometimes on a cold morning (especially when damp) when I start the car there is an awful screech from the belts - goes after a few light revs. Makes me think its the alternator belt as sometimes it doesn't do it until you switch on the lights and put some load on the alternator then it does it but, as I say, stops again after a light dab or two on the throttle?

Your not alone with that Jim, my Golf does this with the damp mainly, dont think its anything to worry about though..

Had the same on my golf..got a screech at low revs (especially if it was damp and/or the headlights were on..

Solution- tighten up the alternator belt...they get slack over time

on the golf (Mk2 8v GTI(.. it was caused by the alternator belt becoming slack and slipping against the alternator pulley, so you retighten the belt, and it stops slipping..

What engine have you got?

Its not belt wear on mine. Had all belts replaced a few months ago. Will go with the slightly slack alternator belt!

Cheers.

Just read your profile....2.0 16v..

There should be a 'tensioner' which you can 'ratchet' out (not sure if thats the right word but best I can think of) to take up any slack in the alt belt.....two spanners (or spanner and appropriate socket) should be all you need (assuming its like the 8v)

If the belt is damaged at all, then replace it, but otherwise it should be ok.. you'll know if it goes as the battery warning light should come on- stop IMMEDIATELY as I think this belt also drives either the water or oil pump (don't remember which)

Hi

So the screech is caused by some play in the alternator pulley ? Right/wrong?

Could be,unlikley....more like the V belt wearing...whats your point? :?

To reiterate VR6-nos comment- unlikely to be anything wrong with the pulley itself

Yeah. I'm aware of the ratchet adjustable 'old school' type tensioner on the valvers. I'm doing some tinkering on the car tomorrow so will take a look and hace a go at it then. I guess the belt has just stretched a little from new and ended up with a little slack.

You need to be careful not to overtension the belt tho don't you? I'll check my Passat Haynes manual.. i'm sure it details the correct tension of the belt in there :)

Thanks fellas.

I think you need about 1/2 inch slack in it (if you press with your finger on the belt between the pulleys)... not much help as one persons 'press' is completely subjective..

Good luck tomorow..

I've actually got some silicone belt dressing to stop the squeaks from tired old belts. Was using it for a while before I finally got em all replaced on mine.

Does the job really well. If you can find it, its by a company called Rocol!

belt dessing sprays ace, use it a at work instead of tensioning bets when u cant really be bothrerd, or if they are on there last legs and you have no new ones. its a god send :)