Sign in to follow this  
stevemac

Insurance Quotes

Well, it's that time of year again.. :?

My insurance is up for renewal.

I'm 34yrs old & last year cost me £1600 fully comp (3 points, 1yr no claims & no declared mods)

This time around I've had a few quotes - I now have 2yrs no claims, 9 points, R1 charger, 68mm pulley, re-chip, large induction kit, Magnex exhaust, 17" wheels, lowered suspension, £1000 worth of amps & speakers. All of which have been duly declared... :mrgreen:

Front mount cooler & CAT bypass not fitted yet.. :lol:

Best quote so far is from Chris Knott insurance - fully comp £847.50... :D

Which compared to some of the other quotes I've had is a complete bargain !!

HIC = £1700 fully comp

Adrian Flux = £1187 fully comp

stevemac,

could you tell me what a cat bypass is i have one on my vr6 with a full magnex stainless but have no idea what is envolved :?

On your exhaust sysem you have a catalyc converter (under the centre of the car) which gets rid of all the emissions n stuff. You need one to pass an MOT but by removing it you gain extra power.

no thats cool i know what the cat does i just wanted to know what was involved in a cat bypass :D

So long as your car is pre-1994 then the CAT is not needed for MOT regulations.

Extra power gained will depend on which car you're fitting it to. As a general rule, forced induction (supercharged & turbocharged) cars will gain more power from removing the CAT than normally aspirated cars will.

On some cars, removing the CAT will give no power increase at all - it really depends on the type of induction and/or injection system that the car has.

It's just a case of removing the CAT part of the exhaust & replacing it with a straight piece of pipe. The oxygen sensor it then screwed into this piece of pipe (instead of the CAT).

Maximum benefit is then gained when the car is re-chipped - so that the engine management system knows that there is no CAT fitted.

worth doing on the VR then seeing as mine is a '93 *;)

Maybe worth doing a search on the forum - I'm not sure if it has much of an effect on the VR.

Nope, doesn't have much of an effect on the VR, a few ponies if you're lucky.

The VW exhaust system is not that restrictive for NA cars but as Steve said, it's the blown motors that notice it the most. For example, my mate with his 2000 WRX fitted a Hayward & Scott front pipe, cat bypass and rear box and found a genuine (dyno proven) 30bhp.

Kev

stevemac, Try Liverpool Victoria for your insurance. I received some spam mail from them and thought I would give them a try. Turned out they were nearly £200 cheaper than HIC :shock: ...RESULT!!!

stevemac, Try Liverpool Victoria for your insurance. I received some spam mail from them and thought I would give them a try. Turned out they were nearly £200 cheaper than HIC :shock: ...RESULT!!!

Cheers leew Have you still got their phone number ??

Try greenlight.

Corrados have a high flow cat and there's little to be gained with a cat bypass on a standard engine but they will prolong the life of the cat and save a small fortune in the long run.

corradovr6sc, You beat me to it, i was going to say exactly that.

Not sure if i'd benefit from removing it though?

My VR6 is only running 6psi at the moment.

Chris

Privelage have always offered me the lowest premium. Paying under £600 for my VR, and am 28. (full NCB and clean license)

I always found Brentacre good for my modified Corrado.

Gotta be worth a try.

Although if anyone has a standard car, try Elephant. I found them really cheap when I insured my new A4 1.8T.

As leew said, try Liverpool Victoria . They beat last years price by £194 and the renewal by £460 for me. They don't give a hoot about mods as long as you haven't up'd the engines capacity. They also don't care where it's kept (garage/drive/road) or what security you have. They do pay out too, or so the Scoobynet mob say, even on the price of the mods if you have receipts and some other proof (photos/boxes etc) so you could have a £2k car with £15k of mods and claim the full £17k, who else does that?

Mine was £406 for 34yo, 9+NCD, 0 points '91 16V C with mods.

Happy shopping.

My premium is £447. :lol:

But then my car is standard and I have full no claims. Still not bad for greater london.

My premium actually dropped by adding my wife's name on the policy.

:shock:

stevemac is the Chris Knott quote you have dependant on you being a CCGB member? If so, how much is the premium discounted?

So far as I'm aware the quote is subject to me being a CCGB member & travelling less than 10k per year, although I'm not sure what percentage the extra discount is.

This quote is at least £300 cheaper than any of the other insurance companies have been able to manage.

Well worth the CCGB annual membership fees... :wink:

Chris VR6nos: I was concerned about fuel exploding in the exhaust and damaging the cat so I bought a magnex de-cat pipe and I don't really want to buy a new cat at the silly price VW charge. £90 for the bypass, £300 for a new cat so it wasn't a difficult choice.

I no it don't compare to some of you others, but just had my renewal through, I'm 26 & best quote I got was £538 fully comp, with mrs named driver, with mods & protected no claims... no security reqd, (although there is a CAT2 fitted at the mo)

Chris Knott are fantastic mate. I actually got a quote for a VR6 Storm out of interest and its only £200 a year more than my 2.0 16V! Strange that!

Shouldn't have done that cos i want one now!