Sign in to follow this  
jonnyoutram

Bahnbremmer back to original

hi,

i have had never ending problems with my bbm screw charger, had about 3 replacements after 2000 miles each time, i have now decided to go back to a standard charger as i feel it will be more reliable.

does anyone know?

what parts will be needed to re fit the g60 if all i have is

-the necessary parts to fit a screw charger

-1 random boost pipe with a little breather on it??

thanks people

:lol: :lol:

ps.

looking for a full black carpet and passanger doorhandle... going to check partas for sale now..

should be a straight swap back to a g lader and the pipe with the filter on i suspect was the boost return to the g lader.

did u get a replacement screw charger?

swap ya for my stage 4 lader with swg twin induction kit (airbox)and i think i've still got the orig pipes :D

well i hope mine will be ok, as its going to be getting a hard time when its fitted to my 16vG60....if it decides to eat itself then get sucked into my brand new expensive engine i wont be best pleased, may invest in a rotrex.... :lol:

i suggest no one ever buy's a bahn bremmer, they have ruined my life i have had 4 i think, lost count, and they kept ceasing up! darren could not work out y it was happening so now im just going back to the g ladder cos i know it used to work... i was never able to get enough boost out of the lysholm anyway, it didnt feel as impressive!!!

unfortunately, bbm are not helping any more so i am fighting it but it looks like im going to loose 2k!!!!

i love the sound of that stage 4 but my screw chager is screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!

gutted mate,but if its a fault with the charger keep on the case!!!

The main reason they keep seizing is because the bearings "opcon" are now using on the Lysholms are shite.. and are not up to the job, even Bahn Brenner confirmed this when i queried them a few months back, they said it had been sorted??

Ever since Opcon was taken over by someone else the reliability of the chargers have gone down hill.... I ve heard of loads of the newer units failing because of this.. and until its rectified i wouldnt touch one with a barge pole unfortunatley. And as for the rotrex chargers.... well i ve been told they arent up top much on the smaller capacity engines.. Good on the VRs tho.

Best of keeping the g-lader at the moment or going turbo. 8)

I saw a Rotrex conversion on a 20v engine in a MK1 at E38 this year, producing 0.5bar of boost at idle. It was early days for the owner, but seemed very good.

As with all FI, getting the charger sizing correct is the name of the game, so I can't see why a Rotrex wouldn't be very good on a 1.8 engine. Just needs to be the right one.

The Rotrex gearbox is very efficient so you should get lower losses than a G-lader or a screw compressor.

Yeh, i guess with more research they can work very well on the smaller capacity engines, i am just going by what other people have said, (no power at the low rev range) its a fair whack to spend to find out its not as good as it has been made out to be.

gutted mate,but if its a fault with the charger keep on the case!!!

i will dont you worry, its just extra hassle!! its really strange i dont get y they went?? they had enough oil... eash time they have seized!!

The main reason they keep seizing is because the bearings "opcon" are now using on the Lysholms are ****.. and are not up to the job, even Bahn Brenner confirmed this when i queried them a few months back, they said it had been sorted??

Ever since Opcon was taken over by someone else the reliability of the chargers have gone down hill.... I ve heard of loads of the newer units failing because of this.. and until its rectified i wouldnt touch one with a barge pole unfortunatley. And as for the rotrex chargers.... well i ve been told they arent up top much on the smaller capacity engines.. Good on the VRs tho.

thanks for the advice... sounds exactly right! i have literally been stranded by these things 4 times!! months of finding money and time to get the car back on the road and ending up with a corrado that over the last 3 years has only been driven about 1000 miles!!! i feeel like killling someone at bbm!! they took my money and supplied me with a useless piece of s*** that just caused me anger and constant c*** that has wasted my life!!!!!!!!!! i want my cash back.... what do u think i should do?? they are being difficult now cos they replaced a few units already....

The main reason they keep seizing is because the bearings "opcon" are now using on the Lysholms are ****.. and are not up to the job, even Bahn Brenner confirmed this when i queried them a few months back, they said it had been sorted??

thanks for the advice... sounds exactly right! i have literally been stranded by these things 4 times!! months of finding money and time to get the car back on the road and ending up with a corrado that over the last 3 years has only been driven about 1000 miles!!! i feeel like killling someone at bbm!! they took my money and supplied me with a useless piece of s*** that just caused me anger and constant c*** that has wasted my life!!!!!!!!!! i want my cash back.... what do u think i should do?? they are being difficult now cos they replaced a few units already....

With such a low mileage between chargers, sounds like a case of 'unfit for purpose' to me. As others have said, they used to be very good.

I can only comment that I had the same problem, the kit was not a bahn brenner unit but exactly the same spec, it was fine at low psi but as soon as I ran an 18psi unit things went wrong, I think they run far to hot and the expansion etc just causes them to sieze as the tolerances are far to low, i would suggest you go down the turbo route for good hp, worst £1500 i ever spent on a lysholm, although it was fast when it ran.

so happy i own a turbo now.

I ran 1 when they were good albeit for 4k then sold it and went turbo and it was the best thing i have done, but the warranty does say if you use a smaller pulley than supplied then it voids the warranty so you run a smaller pulley at your own peril which i did 1k into the charger. Ran the 50mm pulley and it made 1.1bar with all the engine mods working so well.

JMR is now a stockist of Rotrex and is about to fit one to his 16VG60

who???

r-tech sell the brackets etc etc to attach them to a g60 http://r-techs.dk/en/brackets-60/vw-62/ ... i-415.html

and here is the charger i would say you would need http://r-techs.dk/en/supercharger-27/c1 ... 60-56.html

use a 75mm pulley, and you should see about 12psi of boost, use a 65mm pulley and that should see ya getting approx 18psi.

This all makes for depressing reading - I've got a BBM charger ready to go on my car once I've finished rebuilding the engine! I did have it on the engine for about 400 miles before the engine rebuild and noticed then that it seemed to get quite hot :(

Getting back to your question there's not much you'll need to swap it straight back to the G60 - you'll need the rear mounting bracket and gasket and I think the oil return pipe is slightly different, I don't think there's anything else you'll need though. The outlet pipe that goes to the intercooler might be a bit different as well depending on your setup.

I ran 1 when they were good albeit for 4k then sold it and went turbo and it was the best thing i have done, but the warranty does say if you use a smaller pulley than supplied then it voids the warranty so you run a smaller pulley at your own peril which i did 1k into the charger. Ran the 50mm pulley and it made 1.1bar with all the engine mods working so well.

i ran the standard pully and it still seized... i should have gone 4 a turbo.....

This all makes for depressing reading - I've got a BBM charger ready to go on my car once I've finished rebuilding the engine! I did have it on the engine for about 400 miles before the engine rebuild and noticed then that it seemed to get quite hot :(

Getting back to your question there's not much you'll need to swap it straight back to the G60 - you'll need the rear mounting bracket and gasket and I think the oil return pipe is slightly different, I don't think there's anything else you'll need though. The outlet pipe that goes to the intercooler might be a bit different as well depending on your setup.

you should prob sell urs and go for a rotrex or turbo just to be safe dude!! trust its so depressing when a new charger dies!! i just managed to get the stuff i needed today from g werx! :lol: