Sign in to follow this  
willg60

Electrical power surge?

Hi

Bought a Corrado G60 just recently. Car is OK, bit of a shed, but think with a bit of work it will be alright ... Fitted an uprated loom for the headlamps .. good results. Last 2 times I've been out driving at night I've had momentary surges in electrical output .. I think. Tonight, I was driving home and after about 40 minutes of driving the dashboard lights went really bright for about 5 seconds, as did the headlamps, then, the headlamps cut out (nice, at 90mph on the M3). I pulled into the service station and found both bulbs blown (annoying as I juts put these in and they are the expensive Phillips extreme ones - which are really good I might add!).

Has anyone heard of this problem? Any ideas appreciated !

Cheers, Will.

Your problem will most likely be that your voltage reulator on your alternator is faulty. Check the output of your alternator at the batery terminals with a voltmeter the reading should not exceed 14V max. The cure will be to fit a new alternator, or if you can access the part a new voltage regulator. Beware however that it is likely that there may be other deffective areas in your alternator and replacement of the whole unit is the best bet in the long term.

a friend of mine had the same problem with a mk2 golf and it was just a dead regulator,the voltage regulator is a simple item to replace on a g60 alternator, just 2 phillips head screws and should look like this.....

Excellent ... I thought the voltage reg was favourite and was hoping that someone would confirm. Thanks for the advice and if anyone has an alternator or regulator, obviously I'm in the market ! Cheers.

Also, has anyone bought anthing from Vortech ? I just watched a charger end on ebay for £430 and it was per their description "highest spec." I didn't bid as some of the things they write seem a little odd, like "this charger is fast," "shortened Pulley" and "these extra large cogs will eliminate belt slip" - eh ?? belt slip on those means bye bye charger, so not sure what they are getting at there ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=024