Sign in to follow this  
kop10320178

really nasty smell when reversing on to my drive

hi

i have a 1994 rado vr6, the clutch has recently been replace by vw, when i reverse i get a horribe smell coming through the vents and i can smell it outside the car, i have to reverse it

up a steep drive, any ideas? is the clutch faulty?

thanx jay

It's normal to have to burn off the coatings on a fresh clutch, but it shouldn't stink massively.

Did you perhaps reverse over an annoyed skunk instead??

Do you only get the smell when reversing? I'm thinking it could be the rear brake calipers seizing on, as they can smell pretty horrid too, and you'd get he semll when reversing....maybe...

Almost certainly will be clutch rather than brakes IMO. Brakes usually have to heat up over longer run than just reversing up your drive.

Smell from seized caliper/hot brake pads can be like horsesh!t, I have found.

So many decades since I had new clutch, can't help there.

are you sure its not like a rotten egg smell, which will be hydrogen sulphide from the cat....

Yeah thats what i was thinking, hence asking what kind of smell it was? Suppose if your reversing youd be driving through your own exhaust fumes.

I had a loose engine mount which made the serpentine belt rub on the chassis and cause a burning smell, but it was accompanied with a whining sound....which is why I asked....

hi

its not the cat for sure,

i had a new clutch 12 months ago from VW but recently sprung a loil leak and contaminated the clutch and it was replaced a few weeks ago, but with both clutches when i reverse up the steep drive it stinks like clutch burn !

it has a slight judder on the bite

its going back to VW ( the amount of money they charge compared to there work ethics is shite)

is it because i am reversing up a steep drive,

thanx jay