Sign in to follow this  
B5UBA

rear Callipers....help

does anybody know if the callipers of a mk2 golf fit on a corrado 1.816v 1990.....and if so does the mk2 have to be a 16v...............chheers

Afaik the rear calipers are pretty much interchangeable on all the Cs and Golfs.

Bizzarrely VW proved to be the cheapest place to get replacements for me. They can sell refurbed calipers for about £65 each, but you have to specifically ask for refurbed, cos otherwise they sell you a new one at about £110!!

Trouble with 2nd hand ones is they're either already gone or on the way..

Tho I suppose if it's only £25 and you're doing it yerself it's no big deal.

ive just found that them callipers off the mk 2 are knackerd....do u know if mk 3 rear callipers go on the corrado 16v......if not which, model does

yep, mk3 ones are a direct swap and the handbrake release mechanism is much better.

Have them on my 1990 16v.

David.

ive just found that them callipers off the mk 2 are knackerd....do u know if mk 3 rear callipers go on the corrado 16v......if not which, model does

The Mk 3 rear calipers are the best. Because of the improved handbrake mechanism they are less likley to seize! Go for them!!

But not as good as the mk4 which are alloy and WON'T seize!

What parts do u need for the mk4 to go on?

The calipers will fit straight onto the existing carriers, the lines will need to be changed also because of the connection on the mk4 is different.

Having had my rear calipers seize last winter at a cost of £150 to replace. :mad:

I now leave my car in gear with the handbrake off during these cold winter nights.

yeah Mike16V, I know where you're coming from on that... I visited DubWhizz a few years ago in my old 16V C up in deepest, darkest Yorkshire in winter and ended up staying a couple of extra days due to siezed rear calipers... :? MK4 or, IIRC, late MK3 calipers are alloy and have the handbrake mechanism and spring at the bottom so that they don't sieze up... 8) Much better!