Sign in to follow this  
adamukcorrado

What is the water housing above front mount?

On my VR6, there is a large plastic water housing directly above the engine mount, and it seems to be leaking! i can't see exactly where, but i'm guessing/ hoping that it's just the gasket between the housing and the engine,

What is the housing called?? is it fairly easy to remove or do you need to remove rad and slam panel to get access to bolts?? is the gasket likely to be source of of the minor leak? can you replace gasket and bolts without replacing the whole housing??

Search for thermostat housing on here, there's loads of info and a walk through guide.

You might want to order a new crack pipe, or a gruven parts alloy one too, as they get fragile with age and you might damage it when doing the stat housing.

Adam, have a look here. Everything you need, and even with P&P, works out waaay cheaper than getting it in the UK (even from Ford).

Also worth replacing the blue temp sensor and all the bolts while you're at it. I got one from Ford a few months ago for around £8-9 ;)

Cheers, just been through all the previous threads, alot of useful info, going to order all the bits from the link you provided and replace to whole cabana, thanks again,

Nah, got mine from Ford. Only found this later. A couple of people have ordered from this company though- can't remember who though :(

I have just placed my order with the above company in the states, i was told the postage would be around $28 and would take 6-10 days, order is as follows;

1 @ 49.90 ech Thermostat housing kit Volkswagen Corrado

1 @ 22.05 ech Thermostat with o-ring, 70 deg Celsius Volkswagen Corrado

1 @ 9.65 ech Coolant temperature sensor, clip-in style, 20mm diameter. Two pin, blue plastic connector. Volkswagen Corrado

1 @ 23.45 ech Coolant temperature sensor, clip-in style, 20mm diameter. 4 pin, blue or black plastic connector. Volkswagen Corrado

2 @ 0.97 ech O-ring Volkswagen Corrado2 @ 0.78 ech Clip, sensor or plug Volkswagen Corrado

1 @ 12.60 ech 12 point triple-square bit, 8mm size Volkswagen Corrado (for changing inner cv joint)

$121.15 SUBTOTAL (£61 8) )

Even with postage and possibly import tax thats significantly cheaper than the uk stealers for OEM parts!

I was looking at these and others a lot a few months ago.

Remember "you get what you pay for" means doing your research well.

I saw somewhere during my search that cheap, inferior products made in China may be supplied by some firms over the pond.

When i was doing mine i looked into buying that kit from MJauto and they wouldnt accept payment from anything but westenunion so bought mine through VW!! :D

I'm kind of hoping mine survives until the Gruvenparts Thermostat housing is available, got the crackpipe ready to go on and some Samco houses on the way and it'd be nice to do it all in one. Just had a new radiator and replaced the auxiliary water pump last week - until I found it hanging down after slipping through the rubber mount I didn't really 'get' why Gruven do a replacement billet mount, makes more sense now. Love the way Cs go through all the documented fave failures one after the other, you can almost buy the bits in advance and wait for the next bit to go :)