Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

EDIT - Ripped Tie Rod boot

Hi all,

Sorry my bad, its not the CV boot its the tie rod boot.

Can someone please tell me how a Tie rod boot would get ripped other then it being old and brittle?

I had a tie rod boot (drivers side) replaced about a year ago. I found i had a knocking come from under my feet when driving, sure enough the same tie rod boot had ripped, this was about a year after the first one was replaced. I got the tie rod boot replaced when i had my engine swap done, ive had the car back about 2 1/2 weeks now. Again theres a slight knocking noise and sure enough it is the same tie rod boot that has been ripped AGAIN! I cant see anything thats its rubbing against. What could be causing it to be ripped again?

Cheers guys

If you can get the front end lifted up have a look around the tie rod while you run the steering from lock to lock, make sure it's clear all the way along.

Also make sure you use decent parts and you don't wind up fitting the boot "twisted", and that anyone who adjusts your tracking also doesn't wind up twisting the boot.

i had a ripped one and replaced them both, not sure what could cause it?

how have you got it secured each end? is that in the right place and is it holding? i threw away the VAG clips i bought and used cable ties

Cheers for the replies fellas.

DR_mat - Funny you should mention the "anyone who adjusts your tracking also doesn't wind up twisting the boot", as ive just had the alignment done. Maybe thats why it has happened. Which is a bugger because the track rod will have to come off to fit the new boot wont it, which will put the alignment out a slight bit.

3corsameal- as far as i can see its secured with jubilee clips.

DR_mat - Funny you should mention the "anyone who adjusts your tracking also doesn't wind up twisting the boot", as ive just had the alignment done. Maybe thats why it has happened. Which is a bugger because the track rod will have to come off to fit the new boot wont it, which will put the alignment out a slight bit.

You can mark up the track rod when it's removed to avoid having to reset the tracking. It'd be near enough, if done right.