Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Different size bolts on rear suspension

where my rear shocks fix the rear axle i have different sized bolts on each side? is this normal?

one is 18 one is 19, i think, or its 17 and 18? either way they are one size different.

still trying to work out why my corrado feels so horrid on rough roads/cambers etc???

if i corner quite hard the rear starts to shudder and knock?

Yeah thats right, the idea is you should be able to change them on in a dessert etc with limited tools - ie not two spanners of the same size...

Annoyingly VW have also changed the sizes of suspension bolts from 17mm to 18mm at the front so i ended up buying a deep 18mm socket as there wasn't one in my Halfords kit...

i have that same prob too, my set went 15, 17, 19, so need an 18 :lol:

at least i know the bolts are right on the rear, thought someone had used a wrong'un :?

:? I was just working on two separate rear beams over the weekend and they both definitely had M10 17mm head bolts on both sides.

There are no separate parts listed for either side for the bolt or captive nut on vagcat either!

its the one right at the bottom that goes through shock?

would the actual bolt bit be smaller or just the head do you think?

i wonder if it could be causing something to wobble about slightly

Yup the one through the bottom of the shock.

Both sides should definitely have an M10 bolt through them. A smaller diameter bolt will allow the shock to wobble about.

The size of the actual hex head is 17mm on everyone I've seen, but I guess it isn't too important as long as the actual bolt diameter is correct.

Maybe the captive nut in the beam was lost/damaged on yours and replaced with a smaller one? :?

Part numbers (the same part numbers for both sides):

hexagonal head bolt M10X75 : N 10209005

hexagon nut, self-locking M10 : 3A0512103

fab, thanks for that, very useful

am just going to replace both now anyway, see if that helps the car. Its a long shot but never know :lol:

Yup the one through the bottom of the shock.

Both sides should definitely have an M10 bolt through them. A smaller diameter bolt will allow the shock to wobble about.

The size of the actual hex head is 17mm on everyone I've seen, but I guess it isn't too important as long as the actual bolt diameter is correct.

Maybe the captive nut in the beam was lost/damaged on yours and replaced with a smaller one? :?

No this is not the case.

Just to clarify the nut size stays the same as do the dimensions of the bolt.

However, like Supercharged mentioned above, if you order a new bolt from VW it will arrive with a 18mm head not a 17mm head like the old ones.

It is for a couple of reasons, first of all VW have preset assembly kit in the factorys and it is all different sizes to stop any torque mistakes on build - if everything is 17mm like it used to be on the suspension setup then mistakes will be made - I believe the airguns etc are colour coded as well.

2nd is that in my opinion VW, along with every other manufacturer, are trying to stop people working on their own cars - the vast majority of socket sets will only come in odd numbers above 13mm as well so it incurs extra expense and hassle going and buying the correct one.