Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Front vs rear brake disc temps question...

Right, trying to get to the bottom of my reduced fuel efficiency problem. Basically I have lost about 2-3mpg recently and the car feels more sluggish. Rolling road day brought up no problems though. Just come back from a 30 mile journey through some stop start traffic and some open road (especially the last bit of the journey). Went to put my hands near my brakes and my rear disks (on both sides) were hotter than my fronts. Is this normal, I would have though the rears would be less used than the fronts?

I have the normal 10mm thick standard discs on the rear and 315mm vented AP discs on the front, so I know the cooling on the fronts would be better. And I'm not sayin the rears are red hot (I've had a siezed calliper so know what that does :shock: ). But what I'm wondering is whether the rears are rubbing slightly all the time and if this is reducing my mpg and making the car feel sluggish. Any thoughts welcome...

Snap. My rears always get hotter than the fronts and none of my calipers are binding.

It's mainly because the rear discs are very small and thin and therefore cr@p at dissipating heat. My rears warp all the time.

If you jack up the rear of the car with the handbrake off, you'll soon see the rears don't bind. They free wheel for ever!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the rear brakes are just rubbish, period!! I just wish there was easy upgrade otherwise I'd have done it a long time ago :lol:

Thanks for that Kev, nice to see it isn't just me then. Yeah, I'll get the thing jacked up at the weekend and give the rears a spin, see how free they are. Know what you mean about them being pants. One of these days I'll do the mk4 conversion, but it's just more money to throw at it :(

Yeah, just to add to what Kev says - with the MK4 Calipers I am wearing standard rear pads out at almost the same rate as the fronts which was unheard of on MK2/3 Golfs etc