Sign in to follow this  
voo51

constant cutting out?

Hi

I have been searching all through past posts on here to try figure out my Corrados problem an had no luck.

She is a 2l 16v and every time i start hr up she cuts out again. I have to give her bit of throttle to start her and then straight after she cuts out again.It is like a silent cut out, no juddering, no irratic high revs first, just straight to cut out. However, if i drive her for a minute or so keeping my foot on the throttle and keeping the revs at 1000-2000 after a minute or so she runs fine. I have experienced no cutting out when driving other than when coming to a stop in the first minute or so of starting her up. If i have been driving for a few minutes or more then turn the engine off and bac on, beacuse shes warm she idles fine.

I have soaked the isv in petrol over niht a little dirt came out but not much and refitted it- no change, the pump primes fine and im a little stuck what to do fro here.

Has anyone got any ideas? I think im going to get a majot service done on her in a month or so, will that cure it?! sorry im just learning about cars and trying to do things myself :)

I would check the ISV is getting power using a multimeter, but as it's running ok after keeping the revs up for a while the coolant temp sensor could be faulty, so check the resistance of that.

Thankyou, i will do that in the next few days, i have also unplugged the cold start valve and theres no change in the way it runs/starts from cold - i have read that that could indicate maybe thats knackered?