Sign in to follow this  
bennyd

Powerflex Steering Rack Bush

The difference between them is where the cut out is for one of the steering rack pipes. I ordered mine from Awesome GTi who advised i should get both as its never clear which one you will need. As it happened I used the 233 item for my late VR and returned the other for a refund.

I have Pflex bushes all round except the steering rack bush, this has been left as OEM rubber as I didn't want to risk having too much vibration transmitted through the steering column.

How are you guys finding it with the Pflex bush fitted?

I have Pflex bushes all round except the steering rack bush, this has been left as OEM rubber as I didn't want to risk having too much vibration transmitted through the steering column.

How are you guys finding it with the Pflex bush fitted?

Good question, I'd like to know this too.

My experience so far with the Powerflex rack bush has been great, feels much more solid. I cant make a direct comparison between poly and OE as my old OE one was warn out, but i can't detect any hardness as a result of installing it. I believe the usual complaints will poly bushes come as a result of replacing the wishbone ones.

My experience so far with the Powerflex rack bush has been great, feels much more solid. I cant make a direct comparison between poly and OE as my old OE one was warn out, but i can't detect any hardness as a result of installing it. I believe the usual complaints will poly bushes come as a result of replacing the wishbone ones.

When you say 'feels more solid', do you mean you can feel the difference through the steering? Just wondering as I have one lying about which might fir the 'rado. I couldn't really feel any difference on the Golf - the suspension / steering ones made a massive difference there btw, though again you're replacing knackered OE, so it's not really a fair comparison - but I couldn't tell the difference on the steering one. Maybe that's just me though :)

Never understood why you'd ever need a poly bush on the rack, the rack pushes left to right and it's bolted to the subframe, on the drivers side there's no bush so there's going to be no lateral movement, so unless the bolts are loose it's not going anywhere?

The factory bush is there on one side so that the subframe can flex slightly and not crack the mounting bolts in the process.